Dubstep..

Ok Vladimirpocket i'll admit when im wrong on something almost everytime, you have stumped me there, yes a kida bad example but you proved your point, dubstep can be considered music, still shit though haha

Dubstep is music

"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture."

You could make an argument that some rap isn't music though, the type that doesn't have melody and harmony.

Dubstep is music

"Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture."

You could make an argument that some rap isn't music though, the type that doesn't have melody and harmony.

Your definition only states that melody and harmony are ‘common elements’, not that they are required. Rap has it’s base in rhythm and beat, which is one of the ‘common elements’ listed so I’d say it still falls under the umbrella of music.

Although, I don’t think there is really any universal definition of music. I mean, some people call what Merzbow does music…

Your definition only states that melody and harmony are ‘common elements’, not that they are required. Rap has it’s base in rhythm and beat, which is one of the ‘common elements’ listed so I’d say it still falls under the umbrella of music.

Although, I don’t think there is really any universal definition of music. I mean, some people call what Merzbow does music…

Well if a rap artist doesn't use melody or harmony at all, then melody and harmony are not 'common elements' of their stuff. So there's two ways you could look at it. That's why I said you could make an argument, not that it would necessarily be true.

Well if a rap artist doesn't use melody or harmony at all, then melody and harmony are not 'common elements' of their stuff. So there's two ways you could look at it. That's why I said you could make an argument, not that it would necessarily be true.

Yeah that's true. Although I don't think that argument would hold much water, which is what point I was trying to make anyway.

Aaaargh!!
Dubstep has become a big commercial mess but I watched it in the beginning, it grew out of my hometown (Leeds) and Croydon in the UK. There would be a massive sound system and people playing these really dark, heavy, gritty basslines through it in a dark dungy room and it was amazing. So metal!! Haha.

And I have played drums in metal bands for years and I have also used computers to produce songs (lots of dubstep :p) and I dont think you guys understand what goes into writing a song in this way. Its still music haha. I love it because you can write all the diff parts yourself. And u make the instruments sound exactly how u want... the computer isnt doing anything for you, you're programming absolutely all of it in. Like putting ur guitar through a big shiny amp. The amp is making your guitar sound heavy as fuck, not you

k, rant over...

the vid i posted pretty much sums up how i feel about dub-step

also
for the most part
when my face-2-face friends talk about Dub-Step, the convo is always about "the dub-step version" or "dub-step re-mix" of a previously existing song