Duende or Liquidmix...

Ola Englund

Only gay in the village
Dec 1, 2001
Stockholm, Sweden
www.olaenglund.com
So all of a sudden I got a lot of money worked up :kickass:.

I was thinking of getting one or the other... I've already tried the Duende and know it kicks my ass so bad it hurts much...
But have anyone here tried out Focusrite Liquidmix?
I'm a little curious on the sound of the eqs and compressor on the unit...

liquid mix is very stable once you make sure it is not sharing IRQ with any other dsp and it has it's own FW card... sounds great too, tho i couldn't tell you if it sounds like what it says it does!

but then again SSL on tap.... would LOVE some of that action!

C.

I would say the liquidmix... it has top notch models of SSL gear anyway, as well as loads of others, and tactile control. It's also half the price!

The Duende does two things, but it does them great. liquidmix is more versatile... I'd say it depends on what you need.
I'm probably gonna get the Duende, but only after they've made it a bit more stable.

Yep Duende is available for PC aswell... I've been reading the Duende forums and faqs a bit and I'm a bit concerned with some of the issues/problems the unit has.
The most irritating one:
The duende has to be on a seperate firewire bus, if you use firewire harddrives such as lacie. So If you're running on a Imac(as I do) I can't use duende and a firewire drive at the same time... That sucks!!
The duende sucks to much of the firewirebandwidth. If you have a PowerMac you can get away with this problem if you buy a PCI-card with Firewireports. But the fact that you HAVE to buy a PCI-card just to make the duende work with other external harddrives is pretty lame.

So I'm checking out the Liquidmix forums now instead :D
EDIT: Ok just found out that the Liquidmix has the same firewirebandwidth issue as the duende has... :(

you have to run the liquid mix on another FW card too... all hell breaks loose if you dont.... trust!

it's understandable tho.... 32 chanells of 24 bit 44k audio up and down stream..... doesnt really want anything else in the way

C.

Liquid Mix is a emulation, it tries to be something it is not.

Duende is actually SSL C200. I heard the Waves SSL versus Duende and the Duende was better, I don´t think they´re on the same ballpark, although Waves emulates a analog console, and Duende as said before IS a SSL.

I'm ordering the Liquid Mix from work tommorow and still want Duende. You can never have too many options for EQ and compresion.

To me, the LM will be more useful as it's a hands on unit. Duende sounds great but I'm more than a little bored of tweaking settings with a mouse!!

Phil O'Keefe did a review of the Duende in the latest issue of EQ magazine. The only real gripe (aside from the multiple port thing, which wasn't mentioned in the review), was that the compression release time isn't adjustable beyond 30ms. There was a mention of slight latency issues.

I still plan on picking one up.

i've been debating this one myself.
i think the liquid mix is too fiddly for me. from the brief play i had with it.
ssl does what it says on the tin

The only real gripe (aside from the multiple port thing, which wasn't mentioned in the review), was that the compression release time isn't adjustable beyond 30ms.

This would only apply to the buss comp, and 30ms is all you get on the real consoles as well. What is "the multiple port thing"? It only uses one firewire port.

Duende kicks ass. Technically, I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Liquid Mix is a emulation, it tries to be something it is not.

Duende is actually SSL C200. I heard the Waves SSL versus Duende and the Duende was better, I don´t think they´re on the same ballpark, although Waves emulates a analog console, and Duende as said before IS a SSL.

i dont see how this is possible unless they have all the circuitry from 32 c series units packed in there. if that were true nobody in their right mind would ever buy a c series console again also

i think they say that because it is a REAL SSL in the sense that it is physically made and trademarked by SSL

i think they say that because it is a REAL SSL in the sense that it is physically made and trademarked by SSL

The Duende algorithms are based on the C200. Having worked on many SSL's (4000, 6000, 9000, Axiom MT), I can tell you that these plugs are really close to the real thing. No, they aren't exactly like having the Super-Analogue hardware, but they are the best emulations of any hardware piece that I've heard so far.