Dynamics on guitar DI's...

Mago said:
no I didn't mean the woods ect, I was talking only about the difference of floyd rose vs fixed bridge!
It doesn't has THAT much effect on the dynamik response, but it does.
Still, as I said, my guess is fucked battery + different picking

afaik all active emg's clip the signal, aka result in a more compressed sound.
and judging from the date sheets 85's have the same output as 81's.
Still, the DI you posted sounds pretty fucked. EMG's dont clip the signal that hard, usually.

I'm getting my guitar set up soon so I'll ask about it then and post the outcomes here :)

I have a feeling that it's clipping more due to bad electronics, they haven't been looked at since I bought it in '08. I got it looked at by a guy last year, and he did a pretty terrible job. I had (and still have) some noise when I turn the volume and tone knobs, as well as the pickup selector. I asked him to fix it, and when I went back to see him I took it home, plugged it in, and it sounded marginally better than before, but it still wasn't fixed. I went back the next day and asked him to take a look again and this time he charged me for a new volume pot . Even after replacement it sounded pretty much the same, and the guitar had some new found earthing hum. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that guy.

The DI's are drastically different. Sounds like either you've got the tone pot turned up, or he's playing through a clean overdrive pedal. His tone has reduced bass and mid boost, your DI sounds bassy and muffled in comparison. I think the dynamics you're hearing in the final result have more to do with the lower bass and greater mids in his signal, than in the actual snap of his attack. I bet if you used and EQ or OD pedal, you'd get close to his. If that's not it, then I don't know, maybe your bridge pickup is backwards or it's one of the things other folks have suggested...

I'm going with technique as well. It sounds to me like your hitting the strings which wastes a lot of energy in bouncing on the string where he's pushing through the string with the thumb. Try this slowly, hit the stings from a distance by floating the pick away from the string then swing into the string. Now place the pick against the string from a standstill then play the note pushing the pick through the sting with the thumb. You'll impart all the energy on the string as opposed to the string cushioning the stroke when you hit is from afar.

The DI's are drastically different. Sounds like either you've got the tone pot turned up, or he's playing through a clean overdrive pedal. His tone has reduced bass and mid boost, your DI sounds bassy and muffled in comparison. I think the dynamics you're hearing in the final result have more to do with the lower bass and greater mids in his signal, than in the actual snap of his attack. I bet if you used and EQ or OD pedal, you'd get close to his. If that's not it, then I don't know, maybe your bridge pickup is backwards or it's one of the things other folks have suggested...

This is exactly wat I thought. I was convinced that maybe he had some pre setup on the pod farm but he says no