Dynamics...

Hi snowy,

I think you got me wrong here. I dont (really) listen to metal and you're all about metal 100% of the time

I think it's you who got me wrong, here ;) Metal is my favorite genre, yes, but it's not the only one I listen to. We're on a metal band's forum here, so of course I would talk mostly about metal records but my complaints about overcompression extend to all music genres - all the more if we consider that most other genres are "naturally" more dynamic than metal.

I didnt mean to say: Loudness sells.

My bad for misinterpreting, then. These are the words that led me to think you were implying a direct correlation between loudness and sales:

Modern music industries. The human ear prefers the loud music to the quiter (even people even pick a louder 128kps version of the same song over a 192kps version because it songs ''bigger'') so you gotta kill the dynamics when you want to survive in the music world or want to impress modern music listeners.

Today's people are used to big sounds and punchy productions where every bit of the track being as loud as possible, so if you want to get your money from a quite big amount of people there IS a need to take part in the loudness war (talking of popular music, not real underground stuff) because people tend to think it sounds weak if you dont do so.

These assumptions are proven wrong by research and experience.

When comparing two different songs, people will always pick the one they like the best regardless of its loudness. The vast majority of people don't care about how things sound, which means they're indifferent to whether a master is compressed/loud or dynamic. Since they don't care, there is no real reason to feed them compressed records. The minority that cares like their music better dynamic. By making it dynamic you'd actually widen your catchment area, rather than narrowing it. IIRC, sales figures were higher before the LW than after it.

Besides, I'm not talking 20db of dynamic range. That'd require more muscle than the vast majority of stereos possess to sound loud. I'm talking normal DR figures, in between 10db and 14db. Making it loud is a stereo's job, not a sound engineer's.

I really like the sound of most of the 'old' rock records but I really dig the new production techniques and the "full", "clear" but "thick" sound you can create nowadays

You can make it clear, full and thick without birckwalling it. As a matter of fact, overcompressed music sounds flat and dull and is never really aggressive. Take Threat Signal's new single Fallen Disciples, for instance (I'm making a metal example 'cause we're on a metal forum AND that's my favorite genre, but the same applies to other genres as well): it's overcompressed, flat and dull. Aggressive? The song yes, the sound no. It's anemic and emotionally indifferent. Drums sound like a bunch of shoe boxes hit with fish sticks. Treble is ear-fatiguing. Everything sounds fake. No good!

Then try Nobody's hero from Edguy's new album. It's not brickwalled, and it sounds great. As a matter of fact, its production is more aggressive than Threat Signal's because it's not flat. Drums sound like drums, and you can actually hear bass (which is non-existant in Threat Signal's song). It's encompassing. Wanna make it louder? Crank it up! ;)

If you want non-metal examples, compare Gerry Rafferty's City to City from 1978 to, say, the new RHCP album. The latter was mixed and mastered by Rick Rubin, so not exactly a newcomer to the world of sound engineering, but it's not hard to guess which one sounds better once Rafferty's cranked up.

of course analog recording / mastering / mixing is waaayyy better.. but most people who claim that they're always hearing a difference between digital and analog are douches and snobs. Sorry.

Making use of analog or digital devices/processes doesn't make for 100% of an album's sound quality. Analog sounds better, but that doesn't mean you can't make an album sound good - or even very good - with digital. Take Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged album (see? It's not a metal record :)): it's a completely digital record, and it's long been a reference demo disc for audiophiles. Coincidentally it also has a whopping dynamic range.

That being said, if there's people who can hear a difference between analog and digital and prefer analog, you can't label them as douches and snobs just because they have a different sensitivity to certain aspects of musical reproduction, and their tastes lead them to favor the analog recording (I'm not saying I can always pick whether an album is analog or digital; I never tried and I most likely cannot if the digital record is very well done. I just like analog better in general).

Some good examples for analog and digital? I'm a noob in this place. What about Children Of Bodom's HCDR? I don't really like this album but I rarely haven't heard any album with a cleaner sound.

Hi Arcane,

HCDR suffers from the Loudness War just like any other Bodom release (here's its entry on the DR Database). On my setup it doesn't really sound good.

Back when CDs were first introduced, there used to be a triple letter identifier that told you whether the disc had been analogically or digitally recorded and mixed. The labels were as follows:

AAD - analog recording, analog mixing, digital transfer

ADD - anlog recording, digital mixing, digital transfer

DDD - digital recording, digital mixing, digital transfer

After a while they stopped labelling discs (and I believe a certain japanese company had something to do with this :rolleyes: ), but it is safe to assume that 99% of post-2000 releases are DDD. This isn't necessarily a bad thing: the aforementioned Eric Clapton album is also marked as DDD and it sounds awesome.

If you want to compare "old-style" sound to "new-style" sound on the same album, try Megadeth's Rust in peace. The first pressing from 1991 was AAD with an average dynamic range of 13db. The new remaster is most certainly ADD and has an average dynamic range of 6db. The remaster will obviously sound louder, so you'll have to crank up the former until it matches the latter in terms of loudness if you're to make a fair comparison in terms of sound quality.

I own the first pressing of that album, so I can rip mp3s in whatever bit rate for you if you can't find it.

I don't think it is possible to find the same album in AAD and DDD cause that would require re-recording it, which would make it a different album in the first place.

The problem is there are many so-called sound technicians that have absolutely no idea what they are doing, and probably don't even listen to their records on anything different than their headphones, or higher end than their iPods. Otherwise they would reckon how bad they sound.

Last time I checked, most hi-fi users had perfectly neutral speakers. It's not hard to tell when speakers are artificially altering treble, and hi-fi users generally don't like it.

so true about technicians- I once bought beer for a tech promising me untold wisdom. turns out he didn't have it. actually insisted I try some other AVS settings for turning my flac to mp3 and those settings turned out to be total shit. default is the way to go.

furthermore, ignore snowy. he's always like that. just wants to start a fight.

What the fuck? I wasnt starting a fight, I was just disagreeing at some points o_O How was I starting a fight with any of these posts?!

of course analog recording / mastering / mixing is waaayyy better.. but most people who claim that they're always hearing a difference between digital and analog are douches and snobs. Sorry.

I'm neither a douche nor am I a snob, and I always hear a difference between digital and analog because it's actually impossible to hear digital without making it analog (e.g. speakers).

Some good examples for analog and digital? I'm a noob in this place. What about Children Of Bodom's HCDR? I don't really like this album but I rarely haven't heard any album with a cleaner sound.

All of the albums are digital. If you want to hear an example of the problem we're discussing (granted Janne's keyboard is digital, but it compresses itself as part of it's sound production/reproduction- obvy this problem has various permutations) listen to a recording of Bodom live (like live in Valencia).

Speaking of- has anyone tried a keyboard that uses granular synthesis? I'm told it's really 'the shit' at resolving this sort of problem.

I'm neither a douche nor am I a snob, and I always hear a difference between digital and analog because it's actually impossible to hear digital without making it analog (e.g. speakers).

see, thats which proves my point :p
What a smart ass comment about the speakers (wow, thats something nobody knows..)... I was talking about digital RECORDINGS (e.g recorded on a digital medium/and/or recorded with digital equipment).
man, what's the problem, you knew what I meant, why are YOU now acting like that? maybe douche or snob werent the right words(now they are) but I had bad experiences with people who claimed to hear whether a song was recorded on tape or directly to a harddrive. That's it.

Making use of analog or digital devices/processes doesn't make for 100% of an album's sound quality. Analog sounds better, but that doesn't mean you can't make an album sound good - or even very good - with digital. Take Eric Clapton's MTV Unplugged album (see? It's not a metal record :)): it's a completely digital record, and it's long been a reference demo disc for audiophiles. Coincidentally it also has a whopping dynamic range.

That being said, if there's people who can hear a difference between analog and digital and prefer analog, you can't label them as douches and snobs just because they have a different sensitivity to certain aspects of musical reproduction, and their tastes lead them to favor the analog recording (I'm not saying I can always pick whether an album is analog or digital; I never tried and I most likely cannot if the digital record is very well done. I just like analog better in general).

Well first:
I get your point but I wasnt saying that 100% of the sound quality comes from the choice of the processors , I dont know where you got that from, but nevermind.
The douches or snob comment was maybe a bit over the top but I just met so many people who were bragging about how they could identify digital recordings within seconds and I think its not THAT easy as they claim. Anyway, I completely agree with your last sentence, same counts for me, same counts for most of the people who claim that they will hear a difference. Of course there are exceptions, but nowadys the whole stuff (A/D, D/A converter etc) is pretty good and like you said : You CAN create pretty good records/recordings with it.

Well first:
I get your point but I wasnt saying that 100% of the sound quality comes from the choice of the processors , I dont know where you got that from, but nevermind.
The douches or snob comment was maybe a bit over the top but I just met so many people who were bragging about how they could identify digital recordings within seconds and I think its not THAT easy as they claim. Anyway, I completely agree with your last sentence, same counts for me, same counts for most of the people who claim that they will hear a difference. Of course there are exceptions, but nowadys the whole stuff (A/D, D/A converter etc) is pretty good and like you said : You CAN create pretty good records/recordings with it.

Dude, the people who claim they hear a difference in the end result of an album have actually gone and looked up and memorized how each album was recorded. If you can find something vastly outside their genre(s), I bet they get it wrong.

Of course, that is provided you can suffer yourself to listen to country....

Then again, I have heard people claim that there is just ever the slightest noise in the first few seconds of something that was recorded to tape. They say it is the sound of the tape starting. AND when things are recorded to tape (especially if things are layered onto tape) the tape wears out with each playback so you could definitely hear that...

So in conclusion, I can understand that a person might actually be able to hear the difference between analog and digital recording, but I really believe it is more likely they are hearing a difference between analog and digital mixing.

I wasnt saying that 100% of the sound quality comes from the choice of the processors , I dont know where you got that from, but nevermind.

I never meant to imply you had said that, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I only meant that as a confirmation of the fact that you can do quality recordings with digital equipment/mixing. I wasn't attacking you or anything :)