E-drum + Real cymbals

El_Gato

I love this gain
Oct 20, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Anybody using e-drums (Yamaha TD20 and 10 in my case) and real cymbals for recording?

I have everything I like (cymbals, double pedal, EVEN THE CHAIR) but I still don´t have good SN, kick and toms.

I tried it in a studio with good mics (5, one for every cymbal) and outboard for my real cymbals (never thought about using E-ones, they´re good for fun but...SO unrealistic for recording!) and route the midi signal from my module. The pads of the TD don´t bleed in the OH´s much, they are the best for the e-drum recording.

Then edited very easily and the dynamics were as real as a acoustic set and created a stereo "room" track with impulses. I could control how much presence had the drums and OH´s in this track.

I had my drum sound bad until mixing everything together and find some decent samples to fit in (some of them from this forum, thanx people).

I had 3 SN tracks. One slightly panned to the left and some highs-eq some simulate OH´s and HH Sn bleed. Another slighltly panned to the right and bass-eq to simulate floor tom/right bleed (I used another sample too). Main one to the center.

Some parallel comp as I like to edit drums with real dynamics.

The OH¨s always sounded great (just Hi pass) but now I had my best drum sound ever by far. Soon I´ll have a sample for you.

Just like drumagog (in fact I used it) with 100% blend.

The most important factors to sound realistic is:

1. Dynamics (don´t edit all the midi with the same velocity, perfect tempo, etc). Keep it real or keep robot. Many people put just all kicks the same velocity (NEVER DO THIS).

2. The Impulse and its settings are very important. I used an eq and a comp. (hard) and again an eq on this track.

The best: Editing quickness and accuracy. No drum bleed to the OH´s or between them.

The worst: Yes, room is impulse. But you can choose the room you want.:heh:

I´ve learned from some mistakes in the past and I´m recording a new album soon. By now I´ll keep using this method but I´m thinking of recording drum sessions at home as room sound is not so important in this case. I´ll borrow some nice mics and I think my 4 digi003 pre´s will do the job for the OH´s.

in the future i want to do the same as you (e-drums with real cymbals and HH)
why dont you try the e-drums with superior 2.0?

I'd be very interested in doing this myself. I have a budget electronic kit, which is good enough for the snare/toms (i'll get a nice pedal for the kick pad soon), but I'd be interested in buying a decent cymbal pack to go with them.