Paiste cymbals!

I'm not that up on cymbols for playing them, (i'm a guitarist) but if you need samples too, paiste has almost all their overheads at their website available for multi-sample downloads.

My drummer (I will call him Ryan so I don't have to keep saying "my drummer") and I actually spent like two hours last night listening to samples on the Paiste site. I would assume that they're all mic'd in a fairly similar/professional fashion, although we're gonna try to hit up a local Paiste dealer and formulate some opinions there, too. Do you guys think the samples on the website are a pretty trustworthy way to make choices? It seems that it should give a good idea for how well they record.

Ryan pretty much knew ahead of time that he wanted a RUDE ride, and I think we're most leaning towards the Mega Power Ride 24"...he likes big rides, and it sounds nice and has a super fatty bell.

As for crashes, we ended up liking the Signature series the best...they sound like they ring out a little cleaner than the 2002 series. I'm not sure though, we haven't committed to anything yet. I know we picked at least one 2002. (I also agree Frederik- I think smaller than 18" starts to sound kind of weak).

We also picked the 18" RUDE China, which sounds pretty killer, and then maybe the 18" Signature Reflector Thin China on the other side of the kit.

Hats, we liked the 14" 2002 Crunch Hat, and I can't remember our other choice...it was a 14" Sound Edge though.

We also eyeballed a couple splashes, but I'm going from memory right now and I can't remember what they were...

I will keep you guys posted, especially once it comes time to buy. Thanks for all the input. Anyone else got some opinions to throw my way?

Ryan pretty much knew ahead of time that he wanted a RUDE ride, and I think we're most leaning towards the Mega Power Ride 24"...he likes big rides, and it sounds nice and has a super fatty bell.

We also picked the 18" RUDE China, which sounds pretty killer.

RUDE's are loud as Hell so they're great live, but I don't think they record very well - you don't get much attack from them and they ring out forever which can be a real pain in intricate sections.

My drummer tried a RUDE ride, and decided against it for those very reasons. He uses 17" and 18" RUDE crashes just because they're the only things that hold up to his playing (he destroys cymbals at an alarming rate), but they don't sound all that great on record.

On the plus side, when he broke one in half (from a single hit, with no cracks beforehand), Paiste replaced it for free because they put it down to a manufacturing fault - when he did it again, the drum shop replaced it for free because they were so impressed :p Little bastard is only 5'2" and weighs 8 stone, but he hits like a motherfucker!

I know a guy that uses that china, and it sounds pretty good in the room - I've never heard it recorded though.

Steve

signature series... cant go fucking wrong. Im seriously interested in those Twenty's as well. RUDEs as previously stated... they get fuckin obnoxious and fast... not much in range of dynamics with those.

Hm, mixed input on the RUDE stuff. Ryan doesn't tend to really bash on the ride, so I think we can do just fine with a big RUDE ride. The RUDE china I can't imagine being too problematic, either, since it will be close mic'd, away from the kit fairly well, and also I will be aiming the OH mics to specifically not pick it up.

I recorded a couple months ago with sound edge signature hats, signature and new signature crashes, and a dark energy ride and I was extremely happy with the results! (the dark energy ride is more of a jazz ride, I was just using it for the bell)

Another vote for thinner crashes, big ride.

with anything in metal, I like the thinner cymbals that have a little quicker decay for crashes and such...Keeps the upper sound field dynamic without washing out the high end mix, IMO. I've played with too many doods who think thicker, bigger = better. I tend to gravitate sound wise towards the ones that are a bit brighter, smaller and quicker decaying than what a drummer would, though.

If you get too small, though, I think they end up being more annoying than an accent to the music...like splashes!