Van and Cymbals

Dogs_Of_War

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry, England
Hey all,

Just a quick question I have regarding Van and the cymbals he uses/used to use.

I've got a bootleg from one of the Enemies Of Reality shows and it seems Van uses Paiste there (he now uses Sabian). It's hard to get a good look as there ain't any great close ups but it looks like the underside has the Paiste logo in red, which would make them 2002's... (I think).

Does anyone know for sure? I've just got into Paiste cymbals myself and was wondering what Van used that tour as they sound fantastic.

Cheers,
Simon.

When I think cymbal, I think sambal. Mmmmmmmm sambal......

sambal-for-sesame-noodles.jpg

Haha, you lot are crazy!!

Maybe Warrel might know? :D

I've sent Van a msg via myspace, not sure if it is him that runs it or whether he has the time to reply. Worth a shot though as it would be cool to know. I'm 95% sure he used Paiste cymbals on DNB and POE as they just sound like them, haha.

Shame there is not much info on the net regarding his gear through the years.

Wait a minute.. you can seriously hear what make of cymbals someone uses?

I'm not sure here, but I think there should be some kind of "Van Williams exclusively endorses this and that" type of thing in the booklet of each album, provided that he has a sponsorship deal.

Wait a minute.. you can seriously hear what make of cymbals someone uses?

I'm not sure here, but I think there should be some kind of "Van Williams exclusively endorses this and that" type of thing in the booklet of each album, provided that he has a sponsorship deal.

Sometimes, yeah. I'm only guessing though.

If you listen to the cymbal sounds on DNB they are very bright and cutting (especially the hi-hats!), which are the staple sound of Paiste cymbals.

I've checked the booklets (I only have the original pressings of the older albums, so not sure if liner notes got updated on the re-issues) and can't spot anything that states what gear he used.

If you are referring to the album vs the live recording .... I bet you a million bucks I can record a Zildjian, Sabin and a Paiste and EQ them all so you couldn't tell what they were.

Ask Andy Sneap over in his forum and stop trolling the Neverboard with news and questions about the band.

I am not referring to Live vs Studio. I am just wondering if he ever used Paiste cymbals and if so, which ones.

BTW, Sneap didn't work with them on the older albums....

And yea... stop trolling my thread space...!! ;)

If you are referring to the album vs the live recording .... I bet you a million bucks I can record a Zildjian, Sabin and a Paiste and EQ them all so you couldn't tell what they were.

Ask Andy Sneap over in his forum and stop trolling the Neverboard with news and questions about the band.

Hello pot, meet kettle. *cough AUTOTUNE *cough