Paiste cymbals!

Aaron Smith

Envisage Audio
Feb 10, 2006
Seattle, WA
So, due to my drummer's efforts at NAMM this year, he scored a B-level endorsement with Paiste! He finally signed and mailed the contract after having a lawyer check it over and tweak it. :kickass:

That said, the REAL reason I am posting this thread, is because my band will be hitting the studio the last week of April to track drums for our full length, and we are in the market for a brand new full setup of Paiste cymbals.

My drummer already knows what sizes of cymbals he likes, but what opinions do you have in regards to which series he should get? From a recording standpoint, I have always understood that thinner cymbals work out better and bleed less into the other microphones, but beyond that...we need some advice, primarily from anyone who uses Paistes or has recorded them and knows which ones will record beautifully and which ones won't!

thats badass, man... Paistes are one of my favorite cymbal makers... that said, I am shit loads more familiar with playing drums, than getting tones recording them.. AND I typically use fairly uncommon lines and sizes... like I had Paiste Dimensions which they dont make anymore, and I think has been replaced by the Twenty series...

Generally, you really cant go wrong with these fuckers though... they're right up there with Istanbul, Meinl, and UFIP for my $$$

really? Those are intermediate level... I always thought they sounded ok for being what they were, but not much else

Dark Crisp hats are pretty godly. On my set I have.. the bottom one. Not the top, I've got a Zildjian there. But still sounds pretty damn awesome. Although its VERY loud (I have Dynobeats on top which are really heavy, and the Dark Crisp has a really heavy bottom so its VERY loud.) The top of a Dark Crisp set is quite light I think so it shouldn't be overly loud as long as you buy the pair.

really? Those are intermediate level... I always thought they sounded ok for being what they were, but not much else

Yes, the Alphas are "intermediate", but i think they record remarkably well considering their price range. That includes the Power Ride and Power Crash, which are the thickest of the series. I had a drummer bring them in and they sounded beautiful. The Alpha Hi-Hats are not my cup of tea though.

If he's a bit of a cymbal basher then it might be best to see what of their cymbals aren't mega loud. Can't stand it when I have to record a caveman who's just bought "teh loudest cymbalz evar dood!"

Generally thin crashes and thick rides seem to be the way to go.

Is there a Paiste dealer local that you could go to to have a listen and see what the different range's sound like?

The only Paiste cymbal I've ever had was the 2002 18" Medium Crash :) Still, I respect Paiste, they're pretty much the only one of the four big names (Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl) that I like.

Otherwise, I tend to go for genuine turkish hand hammered stuff... mmmm... beautiful :)

I am using 18" and 20" Paiste 2002 and Giant Beat crashes, and they sound awesome. Not too bright, but cut through very nicely. I feel a lot of the other Paiste series has too much of a "glassy" sound... Also, I use the Giant Beat 15" hihat, but that might be a bit too much if your drummer likes to open up the hihat widely.

I have to say, I really like the Alpha series as well. If I were going to start playing drums thats what I'd play.

But if you've got an endorsement and a lot of cash to spend, well, go nuts :D

I'm not that up on cymbols for playing them, (i'm a guitarist) but if you need samples too, paiste has almost all their overheads at their website available for multi-sample downloads.

I agree the thinner the better on all cymbals but the ride. I love me a heavy dark ride with a big ass bell, but that's just me.

I have always dug the rude series. :D

Word. Before I went Sabian I was using Paiste, and that was my setup. Thing 14" crash, thin 16" crash, 18" china and the heaviest biggest bell ride I could find.

If I could, I'd use an anvil for my ride. You never get too heavy with that bell sound.