E - standard tuning ANYONE?

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
Hey m8's!!!

I listend to those mixes in NEW FREDMAN STYLE IMPULSES THREAD and notice that almost every post of the sound is tuned lower than standard E, even lower than D........So the big question is?

Can my sound suck because of my tuning? Do guitar sound fuller and stronger tuned lower than standard E? :guh:

Here's my post of standard E tuning quad -tracked with the chain;

Kirk Hammett KH-3 Custom (EMG81) ---->M-audio black box------->soloc---->8050---->s-preshigh----->eq

http://www.esnips.com/doc/5cba7d38-9805-4d6a-8744-3d37b2fd4fa3/12

So what else can I do to improve this sound?

Blast me away with comments dudeS? :hotjump:

Not necessarily
plenty of bands still play in standard and sound brutal
I know some of Winds Of Plagues songs, Angel Of Debauchery for example, are in standard tuning and that song is heavy as shit
I also *think* that Sylosis plays in standard
there are actually quite a few heavy bands that play in standard
so to answer your question
no, your sound will not suck because it is in standard tuning

Yeah Sylosis play in standard (used to be in D though). Their album is pretty heavy sounding.

And Justice For All and 'Slaughtered' by Pantera are in standard tuning. ENOUGH SAID.

(ok, I know Pantera were never in perfect standard tuning as they tuned their shit a quarter tone down to piss off anyone who wants to jam with their CDs)

Balance of your instruments is far more important than tuning, however drop tuning will give you a deeper sound which can be darker, never confuse tone and balance with quality.

Even though it's not everyone's cup of tea, most of Death Magnetic" is in E Standard.

I imagine it's more important to get the best sound out of what you do with all the instrumentation taken into account. for a simple guitar clip, sure a down tuned guitar may sound brutal, but that same track can have the same effect in E standard when put into a mix with drums and bass. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty new to recording myself, and I'm sure others can better inform you about this sort of thing, but I've found that I can get some pretty good stuff in E Standard once I put in a bass line and some drums and work to balance out the mix - quad tracked standard tuned guitars sound pretty thick.

Jind

I think that when you're in standard or drop D the bass guitar has to do a bit more of the work as you obviously arent gonna get the really deep notes you do from being in drop C or lower. But you can still get a decent guitar tone in E, its just a little different is all...

Turn every knob on your Crate to 10. 11 if available. Especially the gain.

Tune from low to high:

E F Gb A B Eb

Play 6 string bar cords and ONLY 6 string bar cords (you may need to exercise your fingers or get knuckle extensions for this) and only solo when it's time to solo. Otherwise, when in doubt, chug, chug, jugga jug waaahhhh.

Post clips.

Opeth. Listen to Deliverance, that shit is in E standard

was gonna say this. Pretty much everything by Opeth before Ghost Reveries is Standard tuning, but yeah Deliverance is a great example given it's the heaviest one (again, before Ghost Reveries)

But... Ghost reveries has some songs in D (not sure if it's drop or standard) and they sound very damn good too so as many have said, the tuning will not make your tone suck, your tone will make your tone suck

was gonna say this. Pretty much everything by Opeth before Ghost Reveries is Standard tuning, but yeah Deliverance is a great example given it's the heaviest one (again, before Ghost Reveries)

But... Ghost reveries has some songs in D (not sure if it's drop or standard) and they sound very damn good too so as many have said, the tuning will not make your tone suck, your tone will make your tone suck

I think Ghost of Perdition is in Open Dm. Very cool tuning.

I think Ghost of Perdition is in Open Dm. Very cool tuning.

Yeah, it's so fucking fun to play in (but my poor neck when I tune to it :erk: )

And yeah, good sounds and heaviness can be had in E-standard, but I refuse to ever go back because stuff only sounds heavier and more awesome in lower tunings! Obviously there's a limit, but anywhere from Bb to C# is the perfect range IMO! (I love C standard, it's the melodeath head in me :D)

Yeah and Dimmu Borgir Puritanical World Misanthropia album and Old Man's child Vermin album.....

That shit is tight. :Smokedev: