Ear adaptation and fatigue

Horhe

Jori Haukio
Aug 24, 2008
Ulvila, Finland
www.ansastudio.fi
One of the biggest problems in mixing I have right now is the fact that after especially longer mixing days I'm having trouble to keep my ears "fresh" and that leads more or less to bad decisions. Even comparing them to other mixes won't help because at the time they start to sound weird. For example when I start to A/B Andy's work to my mix and his stuff sounds like tiny and muddy I'm thinking maybe there's a chance that I actually didn't do a better mix than him:lol: This is easier to avoid when there is time for breaks but on a tight schedule I seem to be really in need of an "aural compass" so to speak.
Does this happen to others and what's your way to deal with it?

This is pretty common - in my experience, the only real remedy is just taking a break, getting out of the studio, etc. Take at least 15 minutes of break every hour or two. It will help keep you focused and delay "studio madness" from setting in.

mix with a lower volume, that helps prevent fatigue. I also found that when you invest in some higher quality reference monitors, while they will sound harsh and ear fatiguing to someone that has never heard flat (and high quality) speaker, a regular user can listen to through them for hours without raping their ears.

If you have good monitors watch your volume, if you have to turn it up pretty loud to hear the punch and detail, you might want to consider acoustic reinforcement (traps, diffusers etc)

I can only mix 2-3h. Then I have to take a break about 30min-1h. Only can mix about 7h (with breaks) a day....
Tracking is another beast. I can track up to 14h a day but my consentration will shut down after 8-10h. But sometimes you have to do it:(

Tracking is another beast. I can track up to 14h a day but my consentration will shut down after 8-10h. But sometimes you have to do it:(

I have had the experience that usually after 10-12 hours you usually output just forced shit because everyone gets too tired after that. You can record efficiently for 3-8 hours a day, depending on the instrument and the person. Especially singers (and drummers and finger playing bass players) are usually most limited because their instrument is so physical.

And ear fatigue can be restrained with low volume.

I have had the experience that usually after 10-12 hours you usually output just forced shit because everyone gets too tired after that.

very true. nowadays when I feel myself (or others) getting to this point I just call it for the day. I hate finding myself in the mood where I'm saying "ok that's good enough" when I know full well it's pure shit.