Ear Damage

HallowedOne

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2002
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience regarding ear damage from going to a concert/gig/whatever.

Last friday I made the mistake of going to see a local prog band play in a closed concrete room that was probably around 6 x 6 meters, wearing no ear protection, and today I am still paying the prize of my mistake. When I left the gig there was an intense buzzing in my ear, which worried me a lot but is fortunately about 80% gone by now, but I still think I took a lot of damage. My ear response to bass frequencies is completely gone, I'm listening to SX as if no bassist was playing. I'm honestly worried, as music if my life, and I'd gone to plenty of larger gigs and concerts at proper places before and never had this happen. Anyone have any experiences regarding this that they wish to share? I'm in a depressed state right now, as I've got no idea if my ears will ever be the same, and if they're not, going to the gig will live as the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. I've surely seen improvement since Friday, but I'm beginning to lose hope that I will ever be able to enjoy SymX and heavy music again.

If this is your first time the damage will wither away. Be carefull however, if you want to take care of your hearing you can take some wax earplugs with you when going to gig's.

My ears are shot! I remember seeing the Sex Pistols in early '78 in a "hall" similar to the one you describe. A year later I was still hearing a buzz.

Then after all the gig's I have seen up front in the 80s, my ears have sustained substancial [sp?] damage.

When you think the sound is too loud wear earplugs, stand in the middle at the back of the place, and don't listen too people that tell you that you are a pussy or gay because your wearing earplugs.

:eek:

Oh, dude, GO SEE A DOCTOR, right now!!!

This ear damage of yours ir probably something inside the ears lookin' like little hairs, that vibrate with the sound, and your "little ear hairs" must be kinda contracted, like touching something, causing the boozing sound!!

Little history, the actor William Shatner, once had an explosion in a ST series scene in which the explosion damaged his ears, causin the same thing that is on yours, and he left that for years, and he almost killed himself, for that thing to bother him so much!!

So, go see a doctor as soon as you can... it's no big deal, but if you let it be... it'll be forever...

The longest my ears ever rang was 7 to 10 days. You most likely didn't do any permanent damage, but if you did there isn't anything you can do about it. Once it's done it's done. Seriously, always take plugs to every show you go to. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions, I went to get checked by my doctor and am taking three different medications, which I have to thank as the buzz has almost ceased (about 10-15% of original "volume"), giving me some hope there will not be any serious permanent damage, now I just have to hope that my "internal EQ" will recover and I will hear a booming, full bass again soon.

It is not the first time my ears are affected by loud noise, but it is by far the worst experience I've had, so I'm just hoping it is not my last chance to learn to wear protection.

Sorry to hear about that Hawk, to be hearing a buzz for an entire year must be truly terrible for a serious music fan. Hope you are doing better today.

Bobby: Where your ears back to normal after those 7-10 days of buzzing? I certainly hope they were, as I can only pray that mine will be one day.

What I definitely do know by now is that I'm not going to that kind of gig, or any kind of loud noise exposure again without wearing protection... to lose something that has become so valued to me for a lifetime, just for a couple of irresponsible hours on my part, just isn't my idea of a smart decision.

I was stupid...I made it thru the 70's and Black Sabbath, etc. etc. but I know the Deep Purple shows did a bit of damage. When I tune my guitar by ear, I am always sharp. It's called tinnitus, and fortunately I do not have the ringing, just a "sharp ear" and a small hearing loss. Walkmans with headsets at very high volume can also cause a problem. I am one of the lucky ones, really.

Please be careful, OK?

Originally posted by Pharoah
I was stupid...I made it thru the 70's and Black Sabbath, etc. etc. but I know the Deep Purple shows did a bit of damage. When I tune my guitar by ear, I am always sharp. It's called tinnitus, and fortunately I do not have the ringing, just a "sharp ear" and a small hearing loss. Walkmans with headsets at very high volume can also cause a problem. I am one of the lucky ones, really.

Please be careful, OK?

Wow, I just noticed now you are 46 years old! Seeing deep Purple in their best years is one of the most amazing things I'll never be able to do!
I bow to you, sir! :worship:

Dado-X, you one cool dude IMO. :cool:
:worship: >> :oops: (me)

I'm lucky I even survived those years! I went to all the "heavy metal" and "prog rock" shows from those bands' first US tours. :eek:
Anyway, FYI....Deep Purple made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as world's loudest band. :eek: , :yow:

So you're around my dad's age Pharoah, except you're a lot cooler because you take your family to Symphony X concerts :D My dad enjoys the music, but says that his concert days are over, so he wouldn't take me, but he's going to try to get me to the next concert that comes around my area.

I'm lucky I even survived those years! I went to all the "heavy metal" and "prog rock" shows from those bands' first US tours. :eek:
Anyway, FYI....Deep Purple made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as world's loudest band. :eek: , :yow:

Heh, it must have been amazing thing to watch Gillan pull off those high screams on Child In Time.

That's right!! You are 2 years older than me. Congrats on be the real senior on the forum :headbang:

everytime you have to pay smtg..

sometimes your ear
sometimes your lenses
and sometimes yyour girlfriend