Earthquake!

:loco: I used to live in southern Cal in the 80's-90's...Riverside and Camp Pendelton...remember all those tremors there, they didn't bother me...was in Japan in the as well, and that place way more tremors than Cali did...I was @ Camp Fuji. :loco:

Great Alaskan Earthquake, Anchorage, Mar 27, 1964, 5:37pm, Good Friday, 9.2 Richter scale .... been there, done that.

Shaking earth scares the hell out of me.

Great Alaskan Earthquake, Anchorage, Mar 27, 1964, 5:37pm, Good Friday, 9.2 Richter scale .... been there, done that.

Holy Moly, Swan!! You went through a 9.2??!!!! :OMG:
That must have been something - I don't wanna ever personally find out what that's like though chances are we will get one like that one of these days. Just hope it's 500 years from now ......

Holy Sh*t! I've seen footage of this earthquake! They have footage shot along the coast line of it actually happening. Unbelievable!!!! And you were there!!! :OMG: Shaking Earth scares the hell outta me too. A big fear of mine. :erk:

At Darthrya's suggestion, I took a bunch of old 8mm home movie footage that my Dad took of the damage in and around Anchorage after the quake, and had it put on a DVD. There is footage of the whole mainstreet northside dropped down to street level. People in the movie theater had to go upstairs and crawl out the window to the marquee and then just an easy step to the main street.

There is a bunch of footage of Turnigan Arms, an upper-end housing development that overlooked the Bay .... until the Quake. It slid out into the bay in a surrealistic jumble tumble of frozen ground and house parts.

Our mobile home had a 12" fault run right under it, and it pitched the ass-end up in the air. I was a latch-key lad of 14, home alone when all hell broke loose. I caught the TV as it came flying out of the hutch at me. As you earthquake-prone types well know, everything you ever owned was in a layer of rubble 12" deep on the floor. Insurance paid some and we moved to the states.

Both my folks worked in Supermarkets, my Pa was a manager downtown and me Mum was a meat-wrapper in Spenard (you all been there). Me Mum waited for the buckling to slow down a bit, then ran from the back of the store, through all the debris, all the way out to the far edge of the parking lot, that's where they make employees park. Her car was still rocking and shaking when she got there ... they figure it lasted a full 4-5 minutes.

We lost friends in the quake, and one of my Dad's old school mates was on the Pier in Valdez, with child, when the Ocean drained out and the Tidal wave raced in. It lifted barges and boats, and railroad locomotives up and deposited them on the hills surrounding the harbour.

I still have a bunch of old newspaper clippings, special editions, commorative books and the like. At Darthrya's suggestion I sent a copy of the DVD to the Alaskan Museum in Juneau, and I might just have time to visit it on our upcoming trip in 2 weeks.

Oh yes, I get very pale and very quiet when the ground shakes.

Yes, and many thanks to Rya for making duplicate copies of it for me.

Cheers, buddy.

At Darthrya's suggestion, I took a bunch of old 8mm home movie footage that my Dad took of the damage in and around Anchorage after the quake, and had it put on a DVD. There is footage of the whole mainstreet northside dropped down to street level. People in the movie theater had to go upstairs and crawl out the window to the marquee and then just an easy step to the main street.

There is a bunch of footage of Turnigan Arms, an upper-end housing development that overlooked the Bay .... until the Quake. It slid out into the bay in a surrealistic jumble tumble of frozen ground and house parts.

Our mobile home had a 12" fault run right under it, and it pitched the ass-end up in the air. I was a latch-key lad of 14, home alone when all hell broke loose. I caught the TV as it came flying out of the hutch at me. As you earthquake-prone types well know, everything you ever owned was in a layer of rubble 12" deep on the floor. Insurance paid some and we moved to the states.

Both my folks worked in Supermarkets, my Pa was a manager downtown and me Mum was a meat-wrapper in Spenard (you all been there). Me Mum waited for the buckling to slow down a bit, then ran from the back of the store, through all the debris, all the way out to the far edge of the parking lot, that's where they make employees park. Her car was still rocking and shaking when she got there ... they figure it lasted a full 4-5 minutes.

We lost friends in the quake, and one of my Dad's old school mates was on the Pier in Valdez, with child, when the Ocean drained out and the Tidal wave raced in. It lifted barges and boats, and railroad locomotives up and deposited them on the hills surrounding the harbour.

I still have a bunch of old newspaper clippings, special editions, commorative books and the like. At Darthrya's suggestion I sent a copy of the DVD to the Alaskan Museum in Juneau, and I might just have time to visit it on our upcoming trip in 2 weeks.

Oh yes, I get very pale and very quiet when the ground shakes.

wow!!! 4-5 minutes is along time for a size 9.2!!! i don't remember hearing about this but we'll be in juneau in november - hopefully there will be time to visit the museum so i can learn more about it. geology is fascinating to me - much respect to mother earth :worship:

wow!!! 4-5 minutes is along time for a size 9.2!!! i don't remember hearing about this but we'll be in juneau in november - hopefully there will be time to visit the museum so i can learn more about it. geology is fascinating to me - much respect to mother earth :worship:

It wasn't 4-5 minutes of 9.2 .... you know how they go. They start out with some initial shaking, then a few hard jolts and some severe rolling. Multiply that by 10 or 100 and run it for a few minutes. If y'all get back up here to the "Tall Pines", I probably have more info on the Quake than the Museum.

Originally the quake was recorded as an 8.4, primarily because seismometers were sparse back then, and some of them were pegged clear off scale. Geologists have since gone back and re-interpreted the available (worldwide seismic) information and raised it to a 9.2.

Oh yeah, I was living in Portland when St Helens went off too. Seems disaster follows me, either that or I'm a carrier. :ill: We were driving back from Blaine, Wa one time when it went off and smothered the Freeway going home. Black at Noon! Driving 15 mph, with tshirts tied over our mouths, HOT!

Portland got a scant 1/4" of ash 40 miles away. Up here 200-300 miles away they got 6"-12".

Hmmm remind me to invite you to visit when I'm out of town, then! :saint:

I can relate to how memories of disaster stay with you for your whole life. I was in a tornado in North Carolina when I was really small (I was maybe 3 or 4) and so many images are burned in my mind - I'll never forget it!

Hmmm remind me to invite you to visit when I'm out of town, then! :saint:

I can relate to how memories of disaster stay with you for your whole life. I was in a tornado in North Carolina when I was really small (I was maybe 3 or 4) and so many images are burned in my mind - I'll never forget it!

Hmmm ... no wonder you never answer my calls.:heh:

Yup, seems like just yesterday. Strange how some things imprint forever, yet I still can't remember my grocery list for 10 minutes.