the Maidens at the Grail

I’ll start out by saying I had never heard of The Iron Maidens until about a week before this show. I have been so tied up with corporate IT crap for the last several years I have not even known when former band mates of mine have been playing down the street. However, one of my high school buddies sent me a link to The Iron Maidens website and asked if I wanted to check them out in CDA. Based on what I read at the site I told him “I’m in and I will buy the tickets”.

It was my understanding there were going to be 5 bands that night starting at 7:00 PM. Do to my ugly work schedule we decided we would time it so we would catch the last two bands. This worked out perfect for us. The band Burnt Offerings (I think) started just after we walked in the door. They seemed to be pretty polished but not exactly my kind of music. (I’m not quite sure what my kind of music is these days though)

During the break before The Iron Maidens started I noticed the FOH sound guy was a friend of mine. Jeff was the drummer in a few bands I played with in Seattle in the 80s. We shot the shit for a minute but he seemed like he wanted to put a bullet in his own head at the time. 5 bands in one night with one FOH guy. Been there done that. Techs works their asses off for very little pay and zero recognition.

Anyway, once The Maidens got started everything was pretty cool. I was very impressed by the musical talent I saw on that stage. As for the note-for-note accuracy of every riff played I cannot comment as I don’t know them all myself. The basis of my opinion is that they were VERY TIGHT. (and looked damn good too)

After the cops came in (one of them was actually singing along with Aja) and told Jeff to turn it down a bit it sounded better to me. I guess I’m getting too old.

After their show I was even more impressed when they did their meet & greet thing and actually acted like regular folks. I remember being part of the opening act for some “National Acts” in Seattle and being totally blown off by some of those “Artists”.

Am I an “Iron Maiden” fan? I guess so. I saw them open for The Scorpions a long time ago and they were great.

Am I a “The Iron Maidens” fan? Absolutely… :headbang:

End of story

Rick

Yes. Lucid did a damn good job! Let's put it this way...out of the 5 Iron Maidens shows I have seen, I have only gotten(or really paid attention to) the opening acts cd once before, Lucid being my 2nd. I'm picky, they passed the test.

Thanks for the report, guys!
We never get to see much of the opening bands, unfortunately. Their playing times are when we are getting ready or trying to catch up on a few zzz's due to crazy travel schedules.....

And welcome Rick - glad you enjoyed the show!!!!

During the break before The Iron Maidens started I noticed the FOH sound guy was a friend of mine. Jeff was the drummer in a few bands I played with in Seattle in the 80s. We shot the shit for a minute but he seemed like he wanted to put a bullet in his own head at the time. 5 bands in one night with one FOH guy. Been there done that. Techs works their asses off for very little pay and zero recognition.
<**Delurk**>Just thought I would come out from my little box of gear and say Hi! and Welcome! Let me buy you a virtual beer..:kickass:

As a sound engineer and the Stage tech for the Maidens I would have to agree with most of the above. However I have to say that the Maidens and DRZ take pretty good care of me and are always appreciative of what I do. I too have worked with artists that don't give you the time of day and can be abusive (one of the reasons I left the busines for several years) but never from these fine women. They are not only very nice to me but they go out of their way to let the local crews know that they are appreciated. It is always helpful to remember that in the world of Tribute bands everyone is a Mockstar :lol: The recognition factor is nice in private but I figure that if someone notices me when I am working something has gone wrong and I had better fix it fast!

Well time to go climb back in my road case... <**Relurk**>

metalord, My statement was very general and somewhat negative I suppose. I was certainly not trying to indicate the Maidens or anyone else were responsible for Jeff&#8217;s frustration. In fact, I don&#8217;t think the Maidens had even arrived at the club at the time I was speaking to him. Part of his frustration was that one of the main outputs on the old Soundcraft board he was using had failed and he had to quickly patch things up in a mono configuration. Based on the friendly mannerism all of the Maidens displayed, both on and off stage, I have absolutely no doubt they are a pleasure to work with. Thank you for the virtual beer. When I see you at the next show I make it to I will buy you a real one. :kickass:

Aja, Thank you for the welcome and I certainly did enjoy the show. :headbang:

Alanbirdsell & Stone, I did check out the Lucid website and listened to a sample of their music. You are right and I will try to check them out live very soon. :danceboy:

Rick

metalord, My statement was very general and somewhat negative I suppose. I was certainly not trying to indicate the Maidens or anyone else were responsible for Jeff’s frustration. In fact, I don’t think the Maidens had even arrived at the club at the time I was speaking to him. Part of his frustration was that one of the main outputs on the old Soundcraft board he was using had failed and he had to quickly patch things up in a mono configuration. Based on the friendly mannerism all of the Maidens displayed, both on and off stage, I have absolutely no doubt they are a pleasure to work with. Thank you for the virtual beer. When I see you at the next show I make it to I will buy you a real one. :kickass:

Aja, Thank you for the welcome and I certainly did enjoy the show. :headbang:

Alanbirdsell & Stone, I did check out the Lucid website and listened to a sample of their music. You are right and I will try to check them out live very soon. :danceboy:

Rick
You didn't sound negative to me, Rick- just telling us like it was - poor Jeff!!!! It certainly explains the sound issues we had initially- fortunately we have Chris to help communicate our needs and obviously FOH was doing the best he could under difficult circumstance.

Yeah in the small world Dept. Metalord above was my college room mate over 20 years ago and for a long I knew the Maidens but didn't know he was working for them and when I last saw him in person was when I visited L.A. about 18 years ago and we went to see Savatage cuz there was no one else that was interesting because the band he was working for canceled their gig or most likely we would have gone to see them. That band was Bandit with some guitar player named Sara. Small world ;)