Easier to shred when tuned down?

Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
I'm curious. Is it easier to play fast when a guitar is tuned to E flat or to D since the strings are looser? Anybody here play on a guitar that's tuned down and then a normal tuned guitar? Which is easier to shred on, or does it make any difference at all?

I dunno. I don't find it any easy. I have my UV tuned down a full step for jammin to SX tunes and I don't find my Rg (standard tuned) and harder to shred on. My Universe has 10's on it so they are a little harder to play than the 9's on the RG. Putting on heavier strings to compensate for the slack of the tuned down ones kinda nulls the advantage, I think.
I'm not sure if that made any sense or not. LOL :)

Alden

Originally posted by Yngvai_Malmsteve
I'm curious. Is it easier to play fast when a guitar is tuned to E flat or to D since the strings are looser? Anybody here play on a guitar that's tuned down and then a normal tuned guitar? Which is easier to shred on, or does it make any difference at all?
IMO it´s easyer to shred IF the strings are looser. I´ve noticed that the lowness of the strings allso makes the same effect, but still I don´t like to have my strings too low, cause it sounds more crappy that way. Usually if I tune down I like to adjust the strings a bit higher from the bridge. Ohtervice the strings make some noice at the frets and that sucks:s .

Ya know... I play my guitar tuned down since I started to listen to Symphony X... and, I can say that it's quite easy to shred, and, besides, it sounds heavier... more crunchy... I'll never intent to return to the E tune, anymore... heheheh!!

for me its easy to shred in E or tuned down a whole step. I don't really notice a difference in speed or soloing wise.

But when i play rythm stuff, then i notice the difference, and thats where the down tuning kicks ass IMO.

Not really a difference, nope.

I've been playing in all D for years... care of Chuck Schuldiner, and it's killer.

It makes no difference on your leads, but on rhythm it absolutely rules.

Just tried it then.

It makes no difference higher up, but on the lower strings, it's easier to shred... BUT! it's harder to get it really accurate...

so the key is, tune your guitar in between the two :D

I have a baritone that is tuned to B... my strings are like 13's or 14's, and the low B is like a 60 gauge or somethin like that.. I like playing it better than a standard.. makes me feel like I have more control.