Gibson Explorer down tuned to B?

EdwardPayne

May 10, 2006
www.metallfabriken.se
Anyone here got experienced in this? How will it work with string gauges like a 7-string guitar?

.013, .017, .030w, .044w, .052w, .060w
Strings tuned to B, G, D, A, E, B or maybe the G should be Gb....

Will it :headbang: or :puke:

I put some GHS Zakk Wylde .070s on my Gibson V a few years ago. Aside from the strings being WAY too big for the slots in the nut, it was fine.

Go for it.

+1 on the zakk wyldes the kill for low tunnings i had to file out the nut to get it in but it was great once i got it going.

I think you can get away with a slighter lighter set than your suggesting but either way it will work. But really thick g strings sound HORRID! :p (and feel) (H)

You dont need fatter then 52 if you are tuning in B, although i would recomend 60 if you are going for even lower tunings.

Ahahahhahhaa, speak for yourself Notuern - I'm not as much of a masochist as I used to be (but I'm just waiting for Jeff to come in and suggest like a .72 for low B, cuz he defines "love of pain"), but I can't go any thinner than a .52 in C standard (my favorite string set for that tuning is D'addario EXL145 Heavy Guage, with a .54 for the low C and a .12 for the high) And I can't fucking stand how loose the high strings are with those "light top/heavy bottom" sets, so I'd steer clear if I were you.

I used to play with thicker strings, but I've come to realize that the tonal difference is really pretty negligible once you go thicker than around .54 for C, .50 for D, and .46 for E (if anything, it sounds more muffled and less bright), and while going too thin sounds brittle and causes me to actually knock the strings out of tune momentarily with my pick attack, I feel that the guages I've mentioned give me a perfect balance of looseness for vibrato and tightness for intonation and tone.

EDIT: I guess if I were to go to B standard, I'd get the D'addario EXL110-7 (Regular light 7-string) .59-.10 and just ditch the highest string - in other words, exactly what you had EdwardPayne

I'm tuned to B flat (actually using an Explorer too), and I use the D'addario jazz set -- 13, 17, 26 wound, 36, 46, 56. They also make a baritone set, which is EXACTLY the same gauges except instead of the 56 it's a 60 or something like that.

I'm tuned to B flat (actually using an Explorer too), and I use the D'addario jazz set -- 13, 17, 26 wound, 36, 46, 56. They also make a baritone set, which is EXACTLY the same gauges except instead of the 56 it's a 60 or something like that.

.62 actually, which is just a bit too thick for my tastes - I like to be able to do crazy vibrato on my pinch harmonics on the 3rd or 4th fret :heh:

Anyone here got experienced in this? How will it work with string gauges like a 7-string guitar?

.013, .017, .030w, .044w, .052w, .060w
Strings tuned to B, G, D, A, E, B or maybe the G should be Gb....

Will it :headbang: or :puke:

I have a Gibson Explorer tuned in B flat.
I use D'addario 0,13-0.56. They work just fine, but I wouldn't recommend going under that... or over, cause I think thicker strings actually doesn't fit.

i love the .70s because people will ask to play yer guitar an wont be able to because there fingers are so pansy

With 52 you have to strike the string like a pussy or else it will go out of tune. Pussy picking = bad tone.

I dont know what kind of crappy stringpressure youve had in your guitars, but 52 should be thick enough to play in B.
I play with the same kind of attack in my righthand as Wylde, so I can guarantee you that I strike the string REALLY hard. ;)

I have one of my guitars strung up with DR Tite Fit 46'ers, and i have that tuned in C and it works great(Id upload some clips if it wherent because the strings are really old now.).
So I guess I have higher string pressure then you(I have adjusted my guitars for maximum stringpressure.).

Ahahahhahhaa, speak for yourself Notuern - I'm not as much of a masochist as I used to be (but I'm just waiting for Jeff to come in and suggest like a .72 for low B, cuz he defines "love of pain"), but I can't go any thinner than a .52 in C standard (my favorite string set for that tuning is D'addario EXL145 Heavy Guage, with a .54 for the low C and a .12 for the high) And I can't fucking stand how loose the high strings are with those "light top/heavy bottom" sets, so I'd steer clear if I were you.

Well, it depends alot on stringpressure, roundcore strings or not.
Yeah, il agree on you with the higher strings, they might get floppy onless you use a set with fatter higher strings then normal, which I usualy use(12-46).
I strung up my old Les Paul with an 80 set, it felt exactly like playing bass, the wierdest feeling ive ever had playing a guitar. :lol:

but this gauges don't mean directly tension...am i right???

the tension of the unbent string will always be the same for the same pitch

a thicker string takes more force over less distance to bend up a step than a thinner string, thus creating the "tight" feel