East vs. West

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
Metal is a Western form of music. Its roots are in classical, blues, jazz, punk, and other styles of music which have all originated in the West. That means a 12-tone palette with the Circle of Fifths, the respective enharmonic scales, natural major and minor scales, harmonic and melodic minor scales, and the seven applicable modes. Generally presented in 4/4 time.

Turkish music is commonly in 9/8, Indian in 7/4, and South American in 4/4 and 2/2 with accents on unusual beats to create illusions of triplets and syncopation not tradiitonally seen in Western music (Eurocentric music; South American has evolved differently). While the base key of Western music is C maj, A min or D Dorian are scales and keys commonly found in the East.

How is metal perceived by non-Western listeners at first? If an Eastern or South American band was to compose a metal song without having heard the compulsory Black Sabbath or Metallica albums as a refernce point, how would the music be different?

Can metal successfully integrate non-traditional instruments as opposed to guitars and pianos? What about steel drums, gamelan, balalaika, sitar, etc.

The eclecticism of the style and the deep forays into folk roots in the revisionist movement as of late have opened a pathway for metal to be reinterpreted from an Eastern POV.

It would be interesting to hypothesize the perception of metal as a genre from a non-Western perspective. What would it sound like? Those of you who are not Westerners or raised in the West...how has your appreciation or understanding of metal been different? Has it been less accessible? Odd-sounding? Please share and discuss.

I don't have an eastern perspective or a lot of knowledge when it comes to world music, but I can comment a little on South American music. From what I know about the types of rhythms used, especially in terms of percussion, these styles are utilized in metal. Martin Lopez in Opeth uses lots of South American beats not typically found in metal. I'm sure anyone familiar with them knows the Lopez Beat, that's on about 1/3 of Opeth songs.

I haven't really heard someone go beyond being influenced to the point where typical Latin music is completely integrated with metal. It would be interesting to hear someone go all the way with that. It's kind of like the way that the jazz/metal fusion never fully developed beyond Atheist (although Arsis does some things that remind me of them.) Lots of bands have Eastern influences, but there hasn't been the integration as there has been with Western folk music.

I can't really see the non traditional metal instruments playing a large role beyond synthesized versions of these instruments occasionally used for effect. It would be something I'd be interested in hearing. This is someplace that someone will go within the next 10 years or so.

Interesting questions. I'd like to hear someone do "Eastern influences" well.

balalaika
Ask me again when I'm good enough; I'm sure it would fit in well in any folk band.

I'd like to hear someone attempt something "Russian-sounding" (don't know what to call it, I'm completely ignorant of music theory); not sure if anyone's already done that before...

I thought this thread was going to be about rap. This looks like the kind of topic I could go to town on. I'll give a serious reply tomorrow when I'm all rested and stuff.

This is a cool topic. My band was thinking of doing something...Eastern? Right now we're a death metal band with black metal influences and epic melodies(worth a try anyway). But we had this idea that when I go back to Singapore for National Service, I'm going to try to pick up some Eastern classical. Try to learn some Japanese, Chinese, Indian melodies and learn some rhythms from the East. When I come back we were thinking of incoporating what all of us have learnt with death metal and see how it turns out.

I was brought up in Singapore but exposed to alot of Western music so it wasn't strange hearing metal.

For once I'd like to hear a band pull of a fusion of middle eastern music and Metal perfectly. And no, Orphaned Land is far, far from that.

Silent Song said:
if you insist :headbang:

Eh they're not completely awful just suffer the same fate as a lot of ambitious bands: the fault of cramming too many ideas into one album. I couldn't listen to Mabool more than once, I was just too put off at the flowery-ness and the unsuccessful melding of everything.

There is a band in the Philippines called Subkulture which integrates tribal instruments from the Philippines. I even do not know those instruments coz it's very unusual...

They are more influenced by Sepultura though... but I commend their use of Folky instruments. I for one want to integrate our own instruments but not sounding that Folky, but more Death Metal and you can't even tell that it is a Folk Metal band...

For the question of not having enough western influence from Black Sabbath or Metallica and just originating from the East... I think it will not be that heavy or that agressive, and more use of the non-traditional instruments like guitars but rather their own traditional instruments like "Kawayan", "Yukelele", "Plutang Dahon"... I just wonder if it will be considered Metal at all though...

Have you heard Chthonic? I think they are trying to incorporate these elements...