Ec..and others.

Mr. Hyde

Guitar, Bass
Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Does anyone keep an up to date list of what projects have been most recently completed?
For instance, did I've got the fire ever get completed?
I've read about Seventh son being "Mega" or something like that...where Is it?
...and are there any other new songs that have been completed?
Maybe we could have a thread that lists songs that show the most recently finished tracks?

Also...I've been wondering about this: Why do we use mp3 for exchanging the .wav files? Is there some other way of compressing them that would make them smaller?
I don't know because I don't have any other software to compress files but I'm asking because it takes me forever to download these multi-meg files.
Ec I'm sure that you and Virus worked all of that out before I was here...but I was just wondering if there were other methods that would make the files smaller than what mp3 can accomplish.

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
Does anyone keep an up to date list of what projects have been most recently completed?
For instance, did I've got the fire ever get completed?
I've read about Seventh son being "Mega" or something like that...where Is it?
...and are there any other new songs that have been completed?
Maybe we could have a thread that lists songs that show the most recently finished tracks?

Also...I've been wondering about this: Why do we use mp3 for exchanging the .wav files? Is there some other way of compressing them that would make them smaller?
I don't know because I don't have any other software to compress files but I'm asking because it takes me forever to download these multi-meg files.
Ec I'm sure that you and Virus worked all of that out before I was here...but I was just wondering if there were other methods that would make the files smaller than what mp3 can accomplish.

Rabies has been keeping a spreadsheet with all of our projects listed in it, who worked on what, and the date it was completed. It's been a bit since it's been updated though, I think Rabies has been busy at home. I think that all of the tracks for 7th Son have been recorded (I heard the karaoke version, and it does sound MEGA!), but I think Medsy is still mixing that one. :cool:

The reason we've used .mp3 and not some other format is:

1. Mp3s are very popular and are familiar to most everybody. Because of thier popularity, there are TONS of utility programs out there for them, and TONS of websites devoted to using the mp3 format.

2. Mp3 has shown to have the highest file size to quality ratio. Using different bitrates also allows a user to adjust an mp3 file to either a small file size with lower sound quality, or a larger file size with a better sound quality, or anywhere in between.

3. Mp3s code and decode to and from WAVs very easily and without noticable sound quality loss. This way, we can keep our files for as long as we wish in compressed format and simply decode them to WAVS if we wish to work with the files again in N-Track, Cool Edit, or whatever. Most recording software works with WAVS, and mp3s are really just compressed WAVS so that makes them a natural fit.

Now, there are other formats that could be used, but those formats do not easily do the things I mentioned above. Some are next to impossible to convert to WAV without losing quality. Some can't be converted at all.

If you're looking for a faster way to download the finished tracks, you can right-click on the links on the IMG songs page and select Save As.... That will save the songs to your hard drive in .wma (Windows Media) format, which still sound pretty good at a much smaller file size.

Thanks Ec. I have been looking on the net for .wav file compression progs. and haven't had much luck. It seems that mp3 is the best in terms of size/quality, as you said. I was hoping to find something that could make the files smaller in size without losing much info but I didn't find anything that made claims to do it better than what mp3 can.
Eventually I'll probably get a faster connection to speed up my downloads, but for now I'll just have to deal with it. What kills me is waiting to hear a new cool track. I have to start the download and then go do something else for a while.

I can't believe I somehow missed this post.

I do have a spreadsheet. I've been neglecting it..much as I have been neglecting my recording duties. There are a couple of songs that we could probably finish if somebody just steps in and organizes them.

Let me know if you need 7th. Its on myplay I believe. The verse part is extremely boring since it has no vocals and its a rather boring guitar part, but it does get pretty farking cool starting with the middle section. It was a tough one to record. That 3rd solo gives me nightmares! :eek: