Beat detector for the PC?

Jun 2, 2005
Does anyone have any knowledge or clue about this?

Im mixing a band right now, and the drums are in WAV files, 10 songs, and i dont see myself manually correcting all the kick hits that are out of place within two weeks. :tickled: it's a lot of work.. so i was wondering if there is any other way?

I have nuendo.. is there anything in nuendo that could do the trick like pro tools has? i know about automation on MIDI drumtracks, but WAV files?

Cheers!

Black neon bob said:

Im mixing a band right now, and the drums are in WAV files, 10 songs, and i dont see myself manually correcting all the kick hits that are out of place within two weeks. :tickled: it's a lot of work.. so i was wondering if there is any other way?

I have nuendo.. is there anything in nuendo that could do the trick like pro tools has? i know about automation on MIDI drumtracks, but WAV files?

Cheers!

You can cheat and use a program like MP3 REmix... it will determine the tempo for you ... might want to use highhats to do this or the snare. Anything contastly running in the mix may work aswell like a bass or guitar.

You can D/L the demo version ... just google it.

Don't Cubase and Nuendo have a time warp thing that quantizes to the beat? You might want to check out the help files for whatever the audio warp feature they have is called. I know its there, I've just never taken the time to use it cause I can just import the crap into Pro Tools LE and Beat Detective it.

Cheers guys.. will have a look at the options here.. the whole timewarp thing in nuendo seems to be underated, since there is mot much out there on the net about that..

I have had no luck finding the program recycle with google at all.. wolfeman, do you have a link? thanks!

Guru.. are you sure i could use that MP3 program? i mean, the band recorded all the song without a click track, the guitars and bass and vocals are allready on there, so if i would let a program like that take care of the rhytm for me, could it be that things would go out of sync pretty soon?

Pardon my ignorance on this one.. still learning about this stuff, i am used to using MIDI.. not correcting drums in WAV files..

Cheers all!

Black neon bob said:
Guru.. are you sure i could use that MP3 program? i mean, the band recorded all the song without a click track, the guitars and bass and vocals are allready on there, so if i would let a program like that take care of the rhytm for me, could it be that things would go out of sync pretty soon?

Pardon my ignorance on this one.. still learning about this stuff, i am used to using MIDI.. not correcting drums in WAV files..

Cheers all!

You will have to write down times and tempo changes. The program will change the tempo based on whateve ryou input even in the middle of a song. So you will have to write out the tempos and the times of the changes, at that point you can make a tempo map in Cubase and map everything to it.

That was my thought as well Brett.. :yell:

Just wanted to make sure that i have done everything possible to get those WAV files straight..
but no click track means i have to do it by hand, and im telling ya, it's a lot of work, and even when i listen to it 100 times and keep on correcting the kick, there are still the guitars, vocals, everything in the overhead, and snare that wont comply and are out of timing as well.. horrible..

Oh well.. lesson learned..

Black neon bob said:

Cheers!

dude. . i know this sounds 'primitive', but did u ever think about overdubbing some of the kick and snare drum parts with a midi keyboard? i've done it before and the band didn't even know that the set was enhanced, they just thought i mixed the SHIT out of it.. just a suggestion. . . good luck !

That sounds like a pretty cool idea actually. Rip some samples out of the recorded tracks that you have and sequence them over the top of the actual tracks for parts that are out of time.

Sounds good in theory...

Moonlapse said:
That sounds like a pretty cool idea actually. Rip some samples out of the recorded tracks that you have and sequence them over the top of the actual tracks for parts that are out of time.

Sounds good in theory...

they would still have to re-record guitars ans bass.... i say just re recor the whole thing.... it woul be faster ,,,,,

why are all the wav files separate anyway ?

and

why wasnt it recorded to a click

guitarguru777 said:
why are all the wav files separate anyway ?

I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but in a multi-track program, you can put everything on it's own track. Which records each thing seperately. I'm almost 100% positive that he doesn't mean he just has all these random wav files, but rather explaining that the kick, snare, hats, toms, overheads, whatever are all on their own track and he's trying to line them all up/quantize the hits so it's not off. But that's just taking a shot in the dark.

~006

006 said:
I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but in a multi-track program, you can put everything on it's own track. Which records each thing seperately. I'm almost 100% positive that he doesn't mean he just has all these random wav files, but rather explaining that the kick, snare, hats, toms, overheads, whatever are all on their own track and he's trying to line them all up/quantize the hits so it's not off. But that's just taking a shot in the dark.

~006

Of course i know that dude ... DUHHH ...lol

But he makes it sound like he just has random wav files hes tryuing to line up. If hes trying to make it tighter then he has no choice but to do it by hand .... no click... your fucked ...

ALWAYS RECORD TO A CLICK !!!!

When I record somebody that has shitty timing on the kicks this is what I do.

I create a sample for the kick to use in Drumagog. Either from the recording or from a pre-recorded collection of samples.
I plug in an SM58 and crank the gain good and hot.
I hold the mic between my knees and tap in the proper kick beats with my fingers. Then I replace the tapped in tracks with drumagog.
When I know that a drummer's skills are a little lacking on the kicks I will try to plan ahead and purposely keep the kick out of the other mics and I'll cut all the low end out of the overheads so they don't interfere with the new sounds.

I just finished fixing about 10 songs worth of kick drums that way in an afternoon.

Metalhead28 said:
When I record somebody that has shitty timing on the kicks this is what I do.

I create a sample for the kick to use in Drumagog. Either from the recording or from a pre-recorded collection of samples.
I plug in an SM58 and crank the gain good and hot.
I hold the mic between my knees and tap in the proper kick beats with my fingers. Then I replace the tapped in tracks with drumagog.
When I know that a drummer's skills are a little lacking on the kicks I will try to plan ahead and purposely keep the kick out of the other mics and I'll cut all the low end out of the overheads so they don't interfere with the new sounds.

I just finished fixing about 10 songs worth of kick drums that way in an afternoon.

good shit dude! that sounds like an analog aproach to what i do with a midi controller, lol. . . we have the same idea though. . . . the band has to be okay to begin with, or else the samples won't mesh. .

and as for that multi-track comment. . . 006, i know you could have had a ball with that one but evidently it was just a communication error. . . lolz anyway:loco:

slightly ot- i dont know what i would do without resampling and reamping. . .

EDIT - btw, if you have a tight drummer that refuses to record to a click, record the guitars to a click, play em through his headphones and pretend as if the guitarists are playing it live each time. . . it works . . even if they are aware of the recorded guitars. regardless, make sure ALL your tracks. . . ALL . . line up to 0. . . thats it. . thats most important part. then u can make them compatible with any workstation!

Hi Bob, Tom here.

I would only look at the kicks, probably it's only the doublebass parts that are (noticeble) out of rythm.

How is the guitarsound they recorded?

Wow.. this one got quite some reactions!

Cool.. thank you all for the great tips.. i have drumagog, and will sample the kick 100% then.. that way i can try some of the great tips some of you had here.. i have a mic, and a MIDI keyboard.. so if i can, i could do the kicks myself a bit here and there..

Just for the record, the drummer is tight, considering they recorded all of their ten tracks with no click track at all..!

However, there are some really long, long blast beat parts in there, and you can noticeably hear where they get sloppy.. bummer..

I might try the mic or the keyboard trick.. great stuff! never thought of it myself.. thanks.

Tom:

yeah, i am only editing the kick.. i am not going to touch the guitars, since i have had no input in recording at all, this is pretty hard..

The guitars? they are done pretty good.. get this, 12 tracks of guitars.. excluding the solo guitar track and extra guitar tracks, they are just the rhytm parts.. so that's really something else, since im used to 2, and 4 tracks at max..

I will post a clip pretty soon.. see what you all think of the mix..

Cheers for the replies.. they were much needed..:worship:

Be careful just moving certain drums around though...you could end up with a huge mess with phase problems and everything else. It's best to move all the drums the same amount and crossfade if possible, so you can at least keep the phase relationships the same (unless, as someone said, you made special provisions during tracking).