eddie trunks review

gerardomosh

May 9, 2006
12-Jul-11Anthrax Worship Music review
7/12/11: Been a while since I did a post in this space just to comment on a single album, but to be honest as great as some stuff has been lately, few albums have been the total package to inspire me to sit at the computer and bang out some thoughts. After almost a decade of waiting the new Anthrax album arrived in my mail the other day. It has not left my CD player since. It is maybe the best album of the bands career, and so far, easily the best metal album of the year. I know the year is far from over but I honestly don't see this being topped. All the dysfunction with the lineup and insanity in getting this album out could have made it a disaster, but it is anything but. It is classic sounding Anthrax in every sense of the word, sounding heavy, melodic at times, just brilliant top to bottom. The playing is unreal. Scott spitting out chugging riffs everywhere, Charlie proving why he is one of the best on the planet on almost every song, Frankie just rock solid locked in and weaving around the notes with an unreal attack, and Rob Caggiano's leads being maybe the best he has ever recorded with the band. Perfect in every sense. Then there is the return of Joey Belladonna as singer on an Anthrax album in almost 20 years. Welcome back Joe! He sounds amazing! Anthrax was really my gateway band into the world of thrash largely because they had a singer on Spreading that fused melody into the heaviness. To me it was always one the bands many secret weapons and it is great to have him back. Just classic in every way! I can't single out tracks that much because they are all that great, seriously. Although I will say the one that just floored me on first listen was "In The End". EPIC! Great chorus, Sabbath like riffs, plenty of room for Joey to belt it out, a true journey of 7 minutes of metal brilliance. "I'm Alive" has a great hook as well. "Earth On Hell" and "The Devil You Know" just pure master thrash, "Crawl" is also amazing and sounds closest to something that would have been from the Bush era. Can't say enough about the Joey factor on this album. The snarl in his voice, going up for the high notes, then the lower key he sings the versus in "Crawl" on. Just awesome! Also the production is amazing! Mixed perfectly, not overcompressed, you hear everything the way you should and the drums just kill. Listen I know what some of you guys are saying; "oh, they are Eddie's buddies, so he's pumping it up for them". In truth yes, I grew up in this business with these guys and they are all close friends for decades, but that has nothing to do with the words I have written here. I write this as a metal fan plain and simple. A fan thrilled to have new Anthrax music finally that is mind blowing and might be the best album in their impressive history. It's out 9/13 and as soon as I can share more on radio than the single I will. Charlie and Scott will also be feature guests on the new season of TMS. Get ready for Worship Music, buy it, crank it. If you have any love of metal I'm sure you will find it as stunning as I do.

12-Jul-11Anthrax Worship Music review
7/12/11: Been a while since I did a post in this space just to comment on a single album, but to be honest as great as some stuff has been lately, few albums have been the total package to inspire me to sit at the computer and bang out some thoughts. After almost a decade of waiting the new Anthrax album arrived in my mail the other day. It has not left my CD player since. It is maybe the best album of the bands career, and so far, easily the best metal album of the year. I know the year is far from over but I honestly don't see this being topped. All the dysfunction with the lineup and insanity in getting this album out could have made it a disaster, but it is anything but. It is classic sounding Anthrax in every sense of the word, sounding heavy, melodic at times, just brilliant top to bottom. The playing is unreal. Scott spitting out chugging riffs everywhere, Charlie proving why he is one of the best on the planet on almost every song, Frankie just rock solid locked in and weaving around the notes with an unreal attack, and Rob Caggiano's leads being maybe the best he has ever recorded with the band. Perfect in every sense. Then there is the return of Joey Belladonna as singer on an Anthrax album in almost 20 years. Welcome back Joe! He sounds amazing! Anthrax was really my gateway band into the world of thrash largely because they had a singer on Spreading that fused melody into the heaviness. To me it was always one the bands many secret weapons and it is great to have him back. Just classic in every way! I can't single out tracks that much because they are all that great, seriously. Although I will say the one that just floored me on first listen was "In The End". EPIC! Great chorus, Sabbath like riffs, plenty of room for Joey to belt it out, a true journey of 7 minutes of metal brilliance. "I'm Alive" has a great hook as well. "Earth On Hell" and "The Devil You Know" just pure master thrash, "Crawl" is also amazing and sounds closest to something that would have been from the Bush era. Can't say enough about the Joey factor on this album. The snarl in his voice, going up for the high notes, then the lower key he sings the versus in "Crawl" on. Just awesome! Also the production is amazing! Mixed perfectly, not overcompressed, you hear everything the way you should and the drums just kill. Listen I know what some of you guys are saying; "oh, they are Eddie's buddies, so he's pumping it up for them". In truth yes, I grew up in this business with these guys and they are all close friends for decades, but that has nothing to do with the words I have written here. I write this as a metal fan plain and simple. A fan thrilled to have new Anthrax music finally that is mind blowing and might be the best album in their impressive history. It's out 9/13 and as soon as I can share more on radio than the single I will. Charlie and Scott will also be feature guests on the new season of TMS. Get ready for Worship Music, buy it, crank it. If you have any love of metal I'm sure you will find it as stunning as I do.

I really don't take much he says to heart. I know he is a huge Joey fan and is friends with the guys in the band. Not liking how he compares some of the songs to the Bush era. To say it's the best CD in their career is saying a lot.

But this is certainly better than him saying he is disappointed and expected more etc. I really look forward to this album! Trunk seems to like more traditional metal bands not so much into thrash metal in general. But nice review, it can only help things for Anthrax! Hopefully when he has Scott and Charlie on the show he asks about the Lion and Bird comment =)

Not to mention Trunk is at least a little biased.

But the album still sounds amazing

Trunk's review is the least of my worries...

Pre-reviews are usually misleading

True. And more often than not they're done because they're friends with the band and they want to hype up sales.

From my experience - when the first single of any album is this good, the album ends up being very mediocre.

Fans hear the first single and think the rest of it's going to be better but sometimes the rest of it's not even half as good as the first single.

Eddie Trunks opinions don't mean squat to me.. He has some real bad taste if you ask me.. Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of music but this guy thinks Winger and poison are Metal... That being said, it is good to see a good review and I am excited to hear this album.. Hopefully it really is their best album ever..

ON THE OTHER HAND...as 1 of those loooooooong time fan of the band, who've been waiting ages for a release from the band, i find it good for them to have friend(s) to help & stir up a it of waves for their 'most anticipated' realease evahh!!:heh:

Eddie Trunks opinions don't mean squat to me.. He has some real bad taste if you ask me.. Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of music but this guy thinks Winger and poison are Metal... That being said, it is good to see a good review and I am excited to hear this album.. Hopefully it really is their best album ever..

Agree with what you say, but Eddie is a huge Anthrax fan, who's saying this Anthrax record is killer, so that to me can only be a positive thing. Let's face it, if he listened to it and thought it was crap, he wouldn't have written what he did, so I'm hoping Eddie is on the money here!

Agree with what you say, but Eddie is a huge Anthrax fan, who's saying this Anthrax record is killer, so that to me can only be a positive thing. Let's face it, if he listened to it and thought it was crap, he wouldn't have written what he did, so I'm hoping Eddie is on the money here!

His opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.