Edge Of Sanity recommendations...

KiwiCam

Hi,

I have found Evolution, Cryptic and Infernal for sale relatively cheap.

Can someone give me a run-down of these albums?

I've listened to and love Crimson, so I consider myself a fan of Swano. I'm also an Opeth nut, so I don't have any trouble listening to death metal.

KiwiCam said:
Hi,

I have found Evolution, Cryptic and Infernal for sale relatively cheap.

Can someone give me a run-down of these albums?

I've listened to and love Crimson, so I consider myself a fan of Swano. I'm also an Opeth nut, so I don't have any trouble listening to death metal.
First of all, I wouldn't call Opeth death metal. I'd say they're progressive metal with death metal influences, so even if you do like Opeth, there's a chance you won't like "classic death metal" so to speak. But then again, maybe you do listen to other death metal bands, and only mentioned Opeth as an example, what do I know? ;) Anyway... For the albums...

Infernal is a good album, but you can kinda hear that the band is torn between going in two different directions.

Cryptic is an album where the other guys (except for Dan) decided to basically go back to classic death metal. It's not a bad album, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as all the other EoS albums (even if I do enjoy classic death metal).

As for Evolution... I can't say much, since that's the only EoS album that I don't own (Blasphemy!), but as I understand it, it's got a lot of demos and unreleased tracks etc... So it sounds interesting...Damn! Now I have to try to find it. Heh...

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you also check out at least "Purgatory Afterglow" and "Unorthodox". They did a lot for the death metal gengre.

Well, I went straight from Nirvana and Metallica to EoS's Crimson.

I think if I can handle Crimson, and Nile (the brutal death metal band), I should be ok.

Other 'death metal' I listen to:

Dark Tranquillity
In Flames
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Nile

And because I love Sunn O))), Dream Theater and Fates Warning, I have most other metal covered.

evolution is as said a compilation containing reworked songs, some demos, covers and stuff like that and, of course, a few actual songs from the albums...

It's an ok 2cd pakage which gives you a good insight on their career...

man... I just listened to "Hell is where the heart is" for the first time... for an hour or something :D

Man this owns... this is what death metal should be like.

edit: of course it doesn't come close to the epic feel of crimson or the majestic feel of moontower, i like the prog sides to it... but for straight death metal this is good.

It took a music store almost one month to get me Unorthodox. I found crimson in an FYE almost pissing my pants in happiness

My favorite EoS cds

Crimson 1/2
Unorthodox
The Specral Sorrows

The guitar tone on Unorthodox is awsome.

Purgatory Afterglow and The Spectral Sorrows always were my favorite EoS albums.
Taking one of the three from above, i'd take infernal. "hell is where the heart is" and "the last song"(i don't know, somehow emotional for me...and these lyrics...) are imo two of the best songs ever written.