Edge of Sanity underrated

MacMoney

Oct 21, 2001
personal.inet.fi
Anyone notice that Edge of Sanity is very underrated and unknown in the metal scene? I hear lots of people talking about such bands as Soilwork, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity etc. but almost no one mentions or even knows Edge of Sanity.

hmmm.... the bands you mentioned are more in the melodic deathmetal style, EOS is seen more that a real DeathMetal band I think. Of course they were melodic, but In Flames are melodic every time. That's maybe another genre.

I agree that Edge of Sanity is underrated.

I discovered the band many years ago in a bin of used CDs at my local record store - hadn't read about them, didn't know anyone into them, hadn't even heard of them before. Since then I've seen the odd thing about them, but mostly it's been in an article about Dan himself, or when he released the Evolution CDs. I've run into more people who know about the band over the years, but it was me who introduced them to all my friends.

But too - all the bands you mentioned are producing new material. It's been a long time since "Cryptic" and even then, it wasn't the same without Dan.

I second that. EoS is one the best (death) metal bands ever (definitely the best melodic death band of the mid-1990s), but people don't seem to realize that.

I think that EoS's lack of notoriety can best be attributed to the following factors:

1. They were signed to Black Mark, which hardly promotes and distributes it's bands in the same manner that a label like Nuclear Blast or Century Media does. This is the reason that bands like In Flames and Soilwork, which were both mentioned, are more well-known and discussed throughout the world.

2. Edge Of Sanity was never a big touring act, and they never once made an appearance in North America. They didn't exactly shove their names into the faces of people all over the world, either because of a lack of funding from Black Mark or, as I would suspect, that many of the members (especially Dan) were involved with other musical projects, and in Dan's case, dozens of them!

3. Their peak period (from The Spectral Sorrows thru to and including Crimson ) came at a time when death metal's popularity was starting to wane somewhat during the so-called "Grunge" craze, after it's booming popularity of only a couple years before that. With the popularity of Opeth and bands of their ilk nowadays, if EoS would have released Crimson, for instance, in the past three years, they would be the most talked about metal band on the planet right now. Their experimentation and innovation went completely unnoticed at the time.

At least I think those are the most important factors. There are likely numerous others, and it's really too bad, because there will never be another band quite like em... :(

Edge of sanity has always been underrated,even though they have released imho at least 2 of the best death metal albums ever...
Doucheman mentioned some possible reasons,which i more or less agree with...
hmmm have you ever noticed that there is a great deal of wonderful bands who have never been widespread in metal? F.e. In the woods... have always been soooo wonderful and unique,but never gained the attention they deserved (imho at least)...the same goes for skyclad

EoS is the first real Death-band I started listening to...that about touring... It really sux that as soon as swedish bands get famous they tour aruond the world but doesnt play even in their hometown for like 5 years or so!
ok, I might be exaggerating, but its so frustrating sometimes!

I guess that EoS often is neglected when ppl discuss swedish death...But I don't really care, I know they kick ass and thats good enough 4 me :)

The Spectral Sorrows is one of the most varied and best death metal albums of all time!!
Cheers and thanks to Edge Of Sanity for making such a monster record!!

In Flames? Soilwork?? Who in the fuck are they?!?!?!? Hehehe. I'm actually serious about Soilwork though. I've heard of Eos much more than those dudes. Do they have any great songs I should try?

Well the tr00 faggots in here will tell you Soilwork sucks (because they are kinda famous... that instantly equals shittyness to the fuckin tr00ies) But they don't. Songs to check out:

Machine Gun Majesty
Like The Average Stalker
Grande Failure Anthem
The Chainheart Machine

...i could go on :) they have many good songs.

I think it has some thing to with first impressions.. When Nothing but dead remains came out, I really loved it. It was well played and where melodic in a way i never had heard it before. At that time my friends and I could not get the metal brutal or fast enough. But for me "Nothing but..." was new and innovative and I loved it. My friends on the other hand was not sp thrilled about it, because it was not "real" death metal like Death, Entombed, Obituary etc. So when the next EoS album came out they did not buy it..

So the first empression lasted and they missed out on some great music. Their mistake... hehe.. :p

Edge is the best death metal band of all time. The problem is that... well, the band broke up. They haven't toured in like 8-10 years. A younger generation of fans is growing up without EoS being exposed to them as a result. As time goes by, that will probably be more and more the case.

Unless Dan does the most awesome thing in recent heavy metal history and start the band up again! Maybe Dag can take Dread's place, hire a drumming mercenary like Dave Lombardo, throw in DiGeorgio... =)

EoS will forever be the best band in all of musical existance, lol. As for the lack of popularity, it seems to really depend on who your talking to. For people who know their metal well, EoS is a prime topic. Its pretty rare for people who know their death metal well to not know who EoS are (From my personal experiences). For people whom are more fluent in mainstream music, EoS would naturally be unknown to them due to many of the reasons stated above.

Its true, younger generations don't seem to know too much about EoS and are missing out, but there are exceptions. For example, myself. I'm only 19 and EoS is my all-time favorite band, lol.

As for Soilwork, they're current stuff isn't too great. Its just rehashed Gothenburg with absolutly no originality. But their really early stuff (especially their first album, Steelbath Suicide and a couple of the following albums, like A Predator's Portrait) are excellent. Steelbath Suicide is their only truly Melo-Death album, though.

Not trying to sound like an elitist or anything, but can we honestly call In Flames recent stuff Death Metal? I hear no death metal in anything they write now adays. They need to go back to their roots and write some good tunes, like their stuff on Jester's Race or Lunar Strain.

Seems to me that whole early '90s Swedish DM scene is pretty unknown to a lot of metal fans, and thus pretty underrated. That stuff that was still brutal and dirty but had melody and whatnot -- like Edge. Also, Dismember, Entombed (their first two albums = some of the best DM ever), all that stuff. The melodic shit that gets more notoriety is the Gothenburg stuff, like most of the aforementioned bands (In Flames, Dark Tranq, etc ... also don't forget At The Gates).