edge of sanity?

Maybe you've seen the Cryptic CD? I've only heard one song off that one, but whatever they look like they still don't sound like nu metal.

Nothing But Death Remains was pretty straightforward death metal (in my opinion).

Unorthodox is a Swedish death metal classic in my mind.

The Spectral Sorrows is my favourite. In addition to awesome death metal there's a very cool Manowar cover (better than the original) and a Sisters of Mercy-esque song.

The Until Eternity Ends EP is very good too, and has a Police cover on it.

Purgatory Afterglow kind of continued to push the boundaries of what death metal was at the time, with it's mix of melodies and clean and aggressive vocals, and another genre-crossing song in "Black Tears."

Crimson is a 40 min masterpiece.

I kind of think of Infernal as poppy death metal (in a good way). It mixes more clean vocals in with the growls, and another non-death metal song in "Losing Myself."

Then there's Cryptic, without Dan. And the Evolution double CD.

So there you go. I don't think I forgot anything. CHECK THEM OUT!!

I like what the Crazy Cat Lady did with her post, so I think I will do the same! ;)

1. Nothing But Death Remains: Fairly typical, raw death metal. The Swedish element really wasn't there just yet, as I can hear traces of SCREAM BLOODY GORE, for instance, more than LEFT HAND PATH, and it seems to have more of an American death metal influence on it as a whole. Songs are good, but the production is pretty sub-par, yet still decent considering how young the guys in the band were.

2. Unorthodox: Worth the price of purchase because of the song "Engima" alone. That clean vocal part Dan does at first still sends shivers down my spine when I hear it, and I only wish he used more clean vocals on that album. Other than that, it is pretty formulaic, downtuned Swedish death in the style of early Entombed. "When All Is Said" is really the only other tune that stands out, in my opinion.

3. The Spectral Sorrows: Classic! They started arriving at their perfected shape with this one, and the highlights are many, including "Darkday", "Lost", "The Masque", the aforementioned Manowar cover, "The Other Side", etc. Only real flaw with it is the tinny drum sound, but this is as good an album as any EoS album to start with if you're unfamiliar with the band.

4. Purgatory Afterglow: This was the first EoS album I heard, so it's always held a special place. That said, the quality of music found within is astounding. Dan used his clean vocals more often, the production was the best the band had yet, and every song is a memorable, defined piece of work. Awesome!

5. Until Eternity Ends EP: This should have been placed between SORROWS and PURGATORY, but I forgot. This 4-song mini-album features an incredible cover of the Police classic "Invisible Sun", and a couple other great tunes, and it is definitely worth owning.

6. Crimson: Wow, is all I can say! If the band would have released this 40-minute classic in 1999 or 2000, we never would have heard of Opeth, in my opinion! Perfection, in every sense of the word.

7. Infernal: I liked this one way more when I first heard it than I do now, but it does have it's quality moments. It's pretty much divided right down the middle with a "Swano vs. the other guys" scenario, in that Dan played all the instruments but drums on songs he wrote, and only did vocals on songs he didn't have writing credits on (Plus, there are a couple songs that Dread did lead vocals on, "Helter Skelter" and the very mediocre "Bleakness Of It All"). Still, "Hell Is Where The Heart Is", "15:36", "Damned By The Damned", "Forever Together Forever", "Losing Myself", and "The Last Song" are essential for any EoS fan. Not the best Edge Of Sanity album, and Dan's tenure with the band would have gone down in a way bigger storm had he left after Crimson instead of this one, but still a decent album.

8. Cryptic: Boring, generic death metal, except for the opener "Hell Written", which is one of my favorite EoS songs ever. It's like the band said "All right, Dan's gone, so lets be HEAVY again", and it failed miserably.

wow thanks a lot, im writing down the names and the hunt is on to get them, thanks again. its just the picture on the back of the cd i looked at there didnt look like swano was on it and it was just a typical nu-metal song names and all.

Originally posted by Doucheman
6. Crimson: Wow, is all I can say! If the band would have released this 40-minute classic in 1999 or 2000, we never would have heard of Opeth, in my opinion!

huh?

This is... not logical. Throwing out personal opinions of the album, this simply makes no sense.

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

huh?

This is... not logical. Throwing out personal opinions of the album, this simply makes no sense.

Uh...it's called an OVEREXAGGERATION, all right? It's my way of saying that it came out way ahead of it's time. I love Opeth, they are one of my favorite bands, and it seems to me that you are interpreting this as me bashing them, and this is not the case. I'm just saying that if it came out in 1999 or 2000, it would have gone down in a way bigger storm than in 1996, cuz the appreciation for albums like Crimson or bands like Opeth just wasn't there yet. I never intended for it to confuse anybody...

Uh...it's called an OVEREXAGGERATION, all right? It's my way of saying that it came out way ahead of it's time. I love Opeth, they are one of my favorite bands, and it seems to me that you are interpreting this as me bashing them, and this is not the case. I'm just saying that if it came out in 1999 or 2000, it would have gone down in a way bigger storm than in 1996, cuz the appreciation for albums like Crimson or bands like Opeth (i.e. songs that are longer in length and require greater attention spans) just wasn't there yet.

I'm just saying that if it came out in 1999 or 2000, it would have gone down in a way bigger storm than in 1996, cuz the appreciation for albums like Crimson or bands like Opeth just wasn't there yet. I never intended for it to confuse anybody...

Believe me it wouldn't have. It's not mellow or accessable enough.

P.S. That comment isn't negative towards Edge of Sanity if you get my meaning.