Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
EDGUY – BURNING DOWN THE OPERA
AFM Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

edguy_bdto_cover.jpg

Since I have not had the luxury to see Edguy on a live setting I was looking forward to this release due to the fact of how much talk there is about their performances. At the moment, this will be the closest I get to experience Edguy live and I am enjoying every moment of it because this one great live album.

The actual release is 2 CD’s unlike the 1 CD copy I got from AFM so this feels more like a best of than the complete live album but it is still highly enjoyable. (Yes, there is still the problem of the one long track but in this case it does not bother me that much since I like all the songs and I have no need to skip them.) Edguy covers all their albums except Savage Poetry and even a couple of songs from the first Avantasia album.

The actual performance is perfect and there are plenty of parts where the band rather than play the song just like it sounds in the studio album, they decide to change little things, like the drumming, the melodies and the tempo. Tobias does a great job in engaging the crowd especially in “How Many Miles” when during the middle of the song he has both “the guys” and “the girls” separately sing what he sung and how he makes fun of someone when he says “You think you are a girl!”. I also laugh every single time right before “Avantasia” where he says somewhere along the lines that they will play whatever song they hear yelled from the crowd but then he goes to say that since he could not understand them they will play “Avantasia”! It did not sound like anybody was complaining. The rest of the members are in top form as well and they all have their certain moments where they are allowed to shine separately. The crowd is also very engaging and clearly heard in the mix, like in “Land of the Miracle”, which is a very important part to me in a live album, I want to hear the crowd and FEEL every aspect of the show.

There are no complaints with the final track list of the double CD version. Most of the songs that I would want to hear if I saw Edguy live are included like “Vain Glory Opera”, “Out of Control”, “Babylon” and “The Headless Game” to name a few others. I would also like to point out how they decided to keep most of the middle section of “The Pharaoh” which is a part that I highly enjoy.

This album gives me the impression that Edguy just like to have fun at their shows and mix it up a bit, not be so rigid in how the songs are supposed to be played. It makes me extremely jealous for those that have seen them live and I hope to experience an Edguy show in the future.

AFM Records Website
Edguy Official Website