EDGUY - Burning Down the Opera

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Hello.
I have been debating buying this 2 disc set for a while now.
One of my biggest gripes with live albums is that MANY are simply compilations of live tracks from various different performances.

I can NOT stand this! The songs usually are recorded at different settings thus some sounding louder than others.

Anyhow, my question is whether or not the EDGUY live album is one complete show or a comp of tracks recorded at various stops on the tour.

I notice the digibook version has video footage from Prog Power!

I'll double check this for you, but I'm pretty sure it's one live show for the biggest chunk of it. There are some bonus things, but for the most part it's one show. Even if it's not, the sound quality is EXTREMELY consistent on this so it flows very well. I listen to the whole thing start to finish at work and it feels very fluid.

In November 2001 a buddy and I flew to France to see Edguy a few times (and Heavenly, Freedom Call, Lullacry and several others). At the Lyon show Tobi said that they were recording the crowd that night because the next night they were recording the band and they needed everyone to be very loud. I don't remember if he announced the next night in Paris that they were recording or not but I definately noticed different mic setups and more mics hanging above the crowd. Tobi was much more serious on stage that night than I've seen him before or since. I believe most of the cd came from the Paris show that night.

It's very good, and I'm not a fan of live albums, except Maiden's "LIve After Death" (one of the best live records ever, my favorite).

i am NOT a fan of live albums... I flat out won't buy 'em to be honest... But I'm an Edguy fan and after I saw them live, how much fun they were, I decided to check it out...

If for some reason my copy was lost, damaged, stolen or accosted in some illegal way (with or without the use of farm animals)... I'd buy another copy

Ok, thanks for the input... but still no one has yet been able to confirm if this is indeed a COMPLETE live performance.

Sorry to be picky on this, but I will not budge on this criteria for my purchasing of a live album.

The booklet states the album "was recorded in Europe during the Mandrake world tour". There is definitely some continuity between some of the songs, but that quote does seem to imply that it was not all recorded in one place. I know Tobi calls out to Paris at one point, so that fits in with what someone else said about most of the album being recorded in Paris. I would need to listen to it again to see exactly how much of the CD is consecutive.

It is one of my favorite live albums, though, because every song sounds fantastic, with lots of energy, Tobi is very amusing as usual, and I think the songs from Vain Glory Opera are ten times better here because they are not overly orchestrated like on the Vain Glory Opera album. When I make my personal 'best of' CDs for my car, I use the Burning Down The Opera versions.