Edirol or M-Audio Midi Controller?

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I'm still trying to pick out a new midi controller. I was leaning towards an Axiom 25... However, one of my local sales guys suggested an Edirol PCR-300 since I'm using SONAR. His thinking was they are owned by the same company so the drivers should be more stable and the Edirol should be better supported within SONAR.

Honestly, I know very little about the Edirol brand. What would you guys suggest? Anyone have experience with both of these?

Cheers.

well I sell both of them and have a bit of experience with them.

Personally I like the M-Audio Axiom controllers, though they are bulkier than necessary. I like the larger drum pads.

The PCR series controllers have 'synth style' keys that feel a lot different than the axiom. There are more pads on these but are way smaller. This should integrate with Sonar seamlessly, but theres no reason why the axiom (or other brand) wouldn't.

pcr is more compact, 30 keys rather than 25, lots of knobs, sliders, buttons, etc. pitch and mod are on a joystick thing. Axiom has separate pitch and mod wheels.
axiom is very rubbery, pcr is very plasticky

I really don't think drivers are an issue with either one.

well I sell both of them and have a bit of experience with them.

Personally I like the M-Audio Axiom controllers, though they are bulkier than necessary. I like the larger drum pads.

The PCR series controllers have 'synth style' keys that feel a lot different than the axiom. There are more pads on these but are way smaller. This should integrate with Sonar seamlessly, but theres no reason why the axiom (or other brand) wouldn't.

pcr is more compact, 30 keys rather than 25, lots of knobs, sliders, buttons, etc. pitch and mod are on a joystick thing. Axiom has separate pitch and mod wheels.
axiom is very rubbery, pcr is very plasticky

I really don't think drivers are an issue with either one.

what about the EMU xboard49?

I've read really good reviews about the feel of the keys, has aftertouch and a bunch of rotary knobs.

E-mu has an ok touch IMO. I ordered some Edirol keys to the shop and will test them out as soon as I get them. If they're anything like the old Roland PC line of keyboards, they should be good!

Never tried the Axiom, although I've sold a few :saint:, but I hope that it has a better touch than the KeyRig line. Those are somewhat .. sproingy? (is that a word?)

(BTW, one thing that surprised me is that the KeyRig line has only a USB port, no MIDI ports. Not a big deal if you're only working with a computer, but still worth noticing if you ever want to play with other synths/modules..)