EDIT DRUMS, BEAT DETECTIVE and so on...

bamesjond

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2008
When you edit drums, how much do you move the hits to the exact grid? Snare and kick?

If you listen to like Killswitch's newest album, the drums are very tight... how much are the drums cut to grid... All hits except the fills and stuff... Or do they in the recording process play until the drummer nails it... ?

BIT OF BOTH.
depends on the drummer and depends on the music.
if the drummer has a good feel; i try not to kill it, and do strength at 80% and exclude within 10% or something like that.
maybe a bit tighter on fills.

A lot of the time though; its fixing people who cant play; in which case the settings are a lot less forgiving.
alternitavely, you can pay me to do it for you

I almost always quantize the drums, i think it gives a more solid sound. I cut and move everything by hand and make sure that the kick and snare is closer to the grid. As a guitarist i find it much easier to play to, and since i (at least i think) play pretty tight to the click it gives a much better result in the end. The "feel" is to me more a matter of What he plays and how he hits the kit.

I wonder how common this is among the professionals. Sure there are great drummers out there, but most drummers dont play like machines.

For parts witha slower kick I base the quantization off the kick and snare, for faster doublebassparts just off the snare and edit the kicks individually.
I usually don't edit fills at all, that keeps a nice natural feeling to it (of course is must not be totally out of time then otherwise coming back into the quantized part would sound like crap).

that goes for metal, I won't quantize rock drums or so.