Editing guitars in your DAW.

Bropocalypse

Ben - Skin Smasher
Aug 30, 2011
Derby, England
www.facebook.com
So obviously there are millions of threads to getting a tone, and " HOW DO GET GUITAR TONE" posts.

However, what are your guys steps when it comes to editing your guitar tracks, be it D.I or reamped.

Apart from basic cutting do you tend to chop the end from transients to make everything tighter on chugs, do you timestretch often?

Just interested in various peoples processing techniques that don't include "settings" which im sick to death of seeing. :yuk:

So obviously there are millions of threads to getting a tone, and " HOW DO GET GUITAR TONE" posts.

However, what are your guys steps when it comes to editing your guitar tracks, be it D.I or reamped.

Apart from basic cutting do you tend to chop the end from transients to make everything tighter on chugs, do you timestretch often?

Just interested in various peoples processing techniques that don't include "settings" which im sick to death of seeing. :yuk:

PERSONALLY (from self teaching, no idea if this is right) i time stretch everything, and i mean EVERYTHING to be in time, and then cut out silent areas, i usually leave and extra 1/64th note (approximate) on each side and then fade it. sometimes i'll use chugs that are strong to replace weak ones in areas that i feel need it.

For a more natural band I'll do what Cory does and line em up with about a 1/64th faded in/out on chugs and riffs. But for the current band I'm recording I've been doing most of of the hits exactly to the beat.

I cut as close to the grid as possible. If you can cut to the grid do it. Otherwise leave how ever much extra you need. I went through a phase of using elastic audio to line up everything to the grid (DI) but have come to realise it just sounds better if you get it done right. Be a click-nazi.

I edit in the gap between transients where possible, I don't like having to crossfade in the middle of a note. However that being said, if I have no other choice and you can't hear it that crossfade, then it doesn't matter and I'll do it anyway.

After that I usually quantize the audio too, just to get it as unnaturally tight as modern metal is

And I've come to love DI's for editing, so much easier than trying to work with one big square waveform :heh:

I don't care if it means extra work for me I'll go in and cut out note for note and snap to grid if I have to. I try not to use crossfades or time stretch but there is always going to be times I'll do it. Instead I will use saturation or reverb to blend my cuts together/ get rid of digital silence.

Like Bassguy I love DI's but I get by without fairly well.

What about recording the guitar to the click at half tempo for riffs/chords and then slip editing them to grid? Has anyone tried his? If anyone does this, please share the details of your workflow.

What about recording the guitar to the click at half tempo for riffs/chords and then slip editing them to grid? Has anyone tried his? If anyone does this, please share the details of your workflow.

sure, sounds pretty good, but fucking time consuming as all hell. i have done this for breakdowns, to get good chugs.

When you say "record them at half tempo" are you saying you record at half tempo and then speed the track up?

Record at half tempo, either play half speed on original tempo or half it, play staccato or singly strum chords, then set grid to to 1/16 or 1/32 depending on what your tempo the song is and drag the chord until it snaps to exactly half (ususally 1/16) Then move all the parts next to each other (no gaps) Its the dragon force technique!

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I despise editing guitars. Make them play it until they get it right or punch it in. I hate doing it after-the-fact

Record at half tempo, either play half speed on original tempo or half it, play staccato or singly strum chords, then set grid to to 1/16 or 1/32 depending on what your tempo the song is and drag the chord until it snaps to exactly half (ususally 1/16) Then move all the parts next to each other (no gaps) Its the dragon force technique!

Yes. That's exactly what I meant. How do you edit the tail end of each note/chord?