Tracking guitars...observations and your opinions?

hi there guys. this is my first thread!
just wondering what is the best way to go about learning how to setup your own guitar (intonation etc) wise. I have several guitars but i dont want to stuff around with the truss rods on them for fear messing them up. I did that to an acoustic once and it was not pretty at all...

when layering two different amps, is that meant panning one hard left and the other hard right or actually in the same space and adjusting the volume to get the right tone?

layering 2 different amps is using 2 different brand amps and recording them both to blend 2 different tones.

most likely you would record 4 tracks 2 from each amp

example

peavey 5150- pan 1 track 100% left and other one 80% right with less volume possibly.

mesa dual rec- pan 1 track 100% right and other one 80% left with less volume

you can mess with this and even have 2 tracks from each amp and keep amps panned to each there own side. I like to eq 1 track from each amp a little different with like mids scooped and use that one with less volume and 80% panned!

Hope that explains a little.....

To me just fucking around with a few different pedals can work. And I was under the impression that all high gain amps had that "hiss" everyone is refering to. Or am I wrong?

For me it's less gain but personal preference there, I used to be in a rock band so I kind of took some of that with me.

To me just fucking around with a few different pedals can work. And I was under the impression that all high gain amps had that "hiss" everyone is refering to. Or am I wrong?

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the usual amp hiss when you aren't playing. I'm talking about a certain type of "background buzz" that is behind the main sound of the amp when played. That buzz follows the playing, it's not a static tone.

Edit:
..and no, not string buzz :D

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the usual amp hiss when you aren't playing. I'm talking about a certain type of "background buzz" that is behind the main sound of the amp when played. That buzz follows the playing, it's not a static tone.

Edit:
..and no, not string buzz :D

OH ok, I don't know what your talking about but I will listen exstra hard next time ;)