A question about quad-tracking guitars

implant

New Metal Member
Jun 10, 2007
This is my first post here, hi to all of you guys and girls :)
I'm in the middle of guitar recording a nu-metal band, soon I'll
finish 2 rhythm guitar tracks for all of the songs but I'd like to add 2 more tracks of the same (just a bit modified) riffs. Question is: do you
guys use the same tone for all 4 tracks? Is it a problem if I use different tone for the third and fourth track, modified via amp or SansAmp pedal? I thought even of recording 3rd and 4th track direct, without amp...sorry for my bad English and thx in advance,

Ivan.

P.S. recording chain : Jackson DXMG Dinky with EMG HZ pickups, SansAmp GT2,Randall RH200 with a Peavey cabinet,Shure SM57,Avalon 737sp,Apogee Rosetta 200 connected digitally to Digi002 Rack.

You should use two different, yet complementing tones. This way the tones will lock into place and cover a broader spectrum, also giving you a thicker overall sound. It's very common to have one set of dark, dull sounding rhythms, and another set of brighter, more high-mid rich ones. Can give a very crushing tone if done right.

I don't think there are any girls here, are there? :err:
Or were you calling us girls? :mad:
:lol: Either way, welcome.

Sorry Radd, it wasn't my intetion to hurt anyone, I was just saying hi to everyone on this board including girls, if there are any, ok? Thanks for the welcome :) .

Razorjack said : It is common practice to use two different guitar tones when Quad tracking.

ThatGuitarGuy said : Always record a DI input if you want to reamp...

I've never done it but it's always a suggestion you see here..

Moonlapse said : You should use two different, yet complementing tones. This way the tones will lock into place and cover a broader spectrum, also giving you a thicker overall sound. It's very common to have one set of dark, dull sounding rhythms, and another set of brighter, more high-mid rich ones. Can give a very crushing tone if done right.

Thanx for the input, guys. I've recorded a DI, reamping is a great tool but I think I won't be able to use it on this record. I thought of recording 3rd and 4th track directly from SansAmp or Line6, any thoughts? It just occured to me that I could use already recorded DI signal from the first two tracks and reamp it (or re-pedal it:) ) through Sans or Line and use that for xtra tracks...there shouldn't be any phase issues if the two tones differ, or am I too optimistic?

Its good to use 2 tones, but I was limited by having 1 Recto in my room so on my "Falling into Darkness" track (example) is 4 guitars of exactly the same guitar/amp and settings. However since its a solo project and im the only guitarist it didnt really seem a big deal to make 1 guitar sound massive. I could have changed the settings for 2 of them but I was quite drunk and just thought meh...basically. But it came out well anyway! Next track ill try using the 2 tones. Cant do any harm, so if you can...do it :D

That's just my stupid sense of humor.

Don't be so hard on your self man, maybe I just didn't understand your joke 'cause I'm new here and I don't know people on this board. Anyway,
do you have any suggestions for recording second pair of guitars?
Since I recorded DI signal for the first pair, I thought of modifying that signal's rhythm structure a little (adding octave here or there, etc.) and reamp that signal through amp or pedal. If I'm not wrong, that way I could have 3rd and 4th guitar without any phase issues (assuming that I use different tone, of course). Any thoughts?

Don't be so hard on your self man, maybe I just didn't understand your joke 'cause I'm new here and I don't know people on this board. Anyway,
do you have any suggestions for recording second pair of guitars?
Since I recorded DI signal for the first pair, I thought of modifying that signal's rhythm structure a little (adding octave here or there, etc.) and reamp that signal through amp or pedal. If I'm not wrong, that way I could have 3rd and 4th guitar without any phase issues (assuming that I use different tone, of course). Any thoughts?

I don't know. I say experiment with everything and then decide what to do.
Personally, I'm thinking you should track 2 more rhythms with the Randall (and forget about re-amping the DI) using different settings like maybe more or less mids or whatever. Maybe even throw a pedal in front. Posting a clip of what you have so far might help us to help you. :)

Probably a stupid question.....
By "Quad Tracked", do people mean 4 separate performances? Or 4 reamped / parallel amp tracks?

There should be four performances - if you have one performance copied and pasted it'll still sound like just one performance but with a bit more volume and a different tone from the amps. It defeats the purpose entirely to just copy and paste, so have two or four tracks.

Jeff

Probably a stupid question.....
By "Quad Tracked", do people mean 4 separate performances? Or 4 reamped / parallel amp tracks?

If it is 4 reamped / parallel amp tracks I guess it would be called "quad re-amped" :erk:. Although you could quad re-amp quad tracks and call it quad re-amped as well so maybe it should be called "quad lazy" or "quad easy way out". :lol: Something that I could easily fall victim of myself. :lol:

Doing it that way I imagine would not have the true quad tracked effect that is just so damn cool.
For each track it's unlikely that one is going to apply the same exact pick attack along with every little, subtle nuance exactly for every single note and chord. So the four separately played tracks all add up and build four big brick walls coated with metal. :headbang:

I have another question...

By "Quad tracked" do you guys mean 4 per channel? (4 for Left and 4 for right)
Or does it mean 4 total? (2 for Left, and 2 for Right)

Some still do three or four to a side, the guitarist should be tight enough to pull it off anyway... just because otherwise his job would be too easy. Other places you'll just have one to a side, but two on each side lets you pull back on gain and have a clearer sound with the same perceived 'crunch' overall.

Jeff