A question about quad-tracking guitars

I don't know. I say experiment with everything and then decide what to do.
Personally, I'm thinking you should track 2 more rhythms with the Randall (and forget about re-amping the DI) using different settings like maybe more or less mids or whatever. Maybe even throw a pedal in front. Posting a clip of what you have so far might help us to help you. :)

Randall is rented until Friday (tight budget here) and I'm not dealing with the top players...so I'll have to use another amp and SansAmp. Peavey Classic amp sounded interesting to me, I'll see if renting it fits into budget, it might blend well with Randall. If no, I'll just record direct via Sans or Line6.

JBroll said : There should be four performances - if you have one performance copied and pasted it'll still sound like just one performance but with a bit more volume and a different tone from the amps. It defeats the purpose entirely to just copy and paste, so have two or four tracks.

You're right, I messed a little with DI tracks (inserting UAD Nigel) and it's just not the same like having 4 different tracks. Maybe I'll try to reamp them through SansAmp just to make sure and for fun (Radd's "quad easy way out" method :lol: ) but yeah, 4 different tracks are def. the way to go...what about panning, I thought of: Tracks 1 & 2 L100 , R 100 , Tracks 3 & 4 (different sound) L70 , R70 .

I tried 6 tracks one time (3 on each side) and it sounded great.

I dunno about doing it all the time however as it seems to me it can get muddy.

Oh and to clarify further a mic doesn't count as a track so say for instance you were using dual sm57 mics on off axis one on, you would put all 4 tracks on the left and the other 4 on the right (2 tracks per take) and it would still be considered quad tracking.