Ed's master slap funk class

ebass

Bottom Line
Sep 17, 2002
Nor Cal
enchant.nu
Hey all I am doing a master calss at this new venue / cutting edge facility in Walnut Creek Ca next Thursday. This Thursday actually 3/30. Its a low key thing actually, but really cool. I will be focusing on the Slap Funk methods of bass. As most of you know I am very influenced by funk and the early pioneeers of slap. Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, Stanley Clarke etc, and more contemporary artists like Flea as well. I apply this with my progressive influences like Geddy for instance and try and focus on the groove and feel more than a million notes, although thats fun also with Enchant. Yeah I know its a a strange combination but it works for me.

I will be there from 7:30 to 8:30 next Thursday night and probably after for a bit , they host a jam as well. I believe Jeff Tamalier from Tower of Power will be hosting the guitar version of funk style that night. Should be fun, check out www.redhouselive.com for details. I plan on doing a slap tap and prog bass deal there later as well. Maybe even taping it. This place is really cool and anyone in the area interested in networking with local musicians and jams and instruction should really check this out. my very good friend Kennan Shaw www.kennenshaw.com teaches fretless bass at this venue and is an amazing player that does a great job with this.

I may even break out the new Conklin GT7 groove tools bass ( another thread ) I am endorsing now as well.

Absolutely. Ed is a role model in terms of diversity on the bass, so I totally want him to use every bass playing technique in the world on the next record. :D Listening to the likes of "Sinking Sand" and "Hold The Wind" makes me think "Tug Of War" was a great bass album already, though. Still, I'd love to hear some fretless bass from him as soon as possible. :) (This sounds mighty strange considering the man himself is around. :oops: )

On the other hand, I don't have much love for basses with 6 or more strings... now I'm sounding like an old crow noodling away on his broken down 60s Fender Jazz, but what can ya do? ;)

WOW

Thanks a ton for the props, I really appreciate the comlpiments.

I am actually a big fan of vintage instruments and Fender Jazz basses in particular, being a huge Jaco, and Tony Franklin fan. I am somewhat of a closet fretless player :lol: However been working that a lot more these days. Hey there is actually a little slide part on Broken from Wounded I used a five string Tobias on.

I am also way into this GT7 groove tools bass from Conklin I am endorsing now, it has changed my old school / old crow mind from traditional four strings. Being a converted guitarist waaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaay back it is the bomb as they say. I might have to get a GT7 fretless as well soon.

Try one and you might become a new crow.

Thanks again

The Stormbringer said:
Absolutely. Ed is a role model in terms of diversity on the bass, so I totally want him to use every bass playing technique in the world on the next record. :D Listening to the likes of "Sinking Sand" and "Hold The Wind" makes me think "Tug Of War" was a great bass album already, though. Still, I'd love to hear some fretless bass from him as soon as possible. :) (This sounds mighty strange considering the man himself is around. :oops: )

On the other hand, I don't have much love for basses with 6 or more strings... now I'm sounding like an old crow noodling away on his broken down 60s Fender Jazz, but what can ya do? ;)

Ed,

Ya gotta bring that GT7 to the Bay Area gig and let loose with it on stage, if you can get some solo time, in between the songs, or during an intermission!. I'm sure that we'd all love to hear that!

ebass said:
I am somewhat of a closet fretless player :lol: However been working that a lot more these days. Hey there is actually a little slide part on Broken from Wounded I used a five string Tobias on.
I know, but I've fallen in love with tasteful fretless sounds as of late, so you gotta unleash some more... pretty please! :)
(By the way, I just listened to "Break" yesterday. Do you happen to know if Tony Mariano used a fretless on "Once A Week"? It sure sounds like one.)

I have no idea Storm, I would not even know that song if I heard it to be honest?

I just got another gem though, a vintage 73 Fender Jazz that will probably be a fretless soon.

I am using the Line 6 XT Floorboard now as well and that has some amazing patches for fretless.

Thanks

The Stormbringer said:
I know, but I've fallen in love with tasteful fretless sounds as of late, so you gotta unleash some more... pretty please! :)
(By the way, I just listened to "Break" yesterday. Do you happen to know if Tony Mariano used a fretless on "Once A Week"? It sure sounds like one.)