Eerie Similarity...

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
Did anyone else notice that the end of Beneath the Mire has nearly the same ending as the Meshuggah song Beneath? This can't be a coincidence, with the song titles being almost the same. I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but many mention the parts reminiscent of Lateralus.

I also recall the intro to the Iced Earth song Desert Rain being a lot like the lead-in to the ending segment of Deliverance. This probably is a coincidence though. Anyone catch any other similarities?

Many, many, many songs from many many many bands have similarities between them and most of the time its just coincidence.

Some of the riffs in the middle and towards the end of Beneath the Mire sound similar to some of Gordian Knot's work. I got no problem though cause it sounds really interesting. In fact , a lot of the song is a pretty different affair to what Opeth usually does.

As for the Tool similarities, yeah, similar but not identical. Lateralus probably influenced this riff as most of the Opeth members have stated their liking for Lateralus in the past. And Mikael has even mentioned his appreciation for Tool as of late as well.

But geez, if we want to rip on Opeth for having similar riffs to other bands, then we would be here all day naming other bands who have similar riffs to other bands.

Ikil

MasterOLightning said:
I also recall the intro to the Iced Earth song Desert Rain being a lot like the lead-in to the ending segment of Deliverance.

when i mentioned this like years ago here everybody went 'shut the fuck up, what are you talking aobut...'

' I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but many mention the parts reminiscent of Lateralus.'

Well somebody did say Ghost of Perdition sounded exactly like 'The Grudge'... Now I guess you can say that the part under 'devil cracked the earth...' bore some inspiration but if this song sounds like 'The Grudge' than yank my boobs and call me grandma...