Effect of pickup height on tone and gain

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
Just wondering everyones take on bridge pickup height??

Say for a passive pickup like the Duncan JB or Distortion..... how does the gap between the pickup and strings effect recorded tone and gain? Any recommend gap?

You want the pickup to be angled closer to the thinner strings, because they have less mass and produce less current than the thicker wound strings. The closer you place the pickup, the hotter the signal, but too close and the magnets will effect how the string vibrates, causing loss of sustain, and sometimes a warbley should that can be mistaken for strings out of tune, or bad intonation. The bridge pickup, can be close because due to its location, it will have less effect on the strings. The neck pickup needs to be a little further away, because it can mess with the strings more, but because the strings vibrate more over the neck pickup, it doesn't need to be as close to provide the same amount of current. I've heard a good way to determine pickup height is with a nickel. Set your bridge pickup so it is about the thickness of 1 nickel away from the thin strings, and 2 nickels away form the wound strings. For the neck at least double.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps.

It's just that I like my Duncan JB, but I would like just a smidge more smooth feeling gain to it....not the amp gain itself, but pickup gain (or output I guess). I love the JB with my Maxon overdrive though.:kickass:

Just wondering if the height made much difference about this?

Maybe I need to bump up to the Sh-6 Duncan Distortion, might give me the just a shade more output that I'm looking for.

SD recommends something like 3/32" on the bass strings and 1/16" on the treble strings. Im pretty sure that is correct but check SD's documentation for your pickups it will confirm suggested pickup height.

It's just that I like my Duncan JB, but I would like just a smidge more smooth feeling gain to it....not the amp gain itself, but pickup gain (or output I guess). I love the JB with my Maxon overdrive though.:kickass:

Just wondering if the height made much difference about this?

Maybe I need to bump up to the Sh-6 Duncan Distortion, might give me the just a shade more output that I'm looking for.

Try raising it a touch, but don't go to the DD. It'll be harsher and edgier than the JB, not smoother.

what about the Invader? On Duncan's site, they show it to have more output, mids, and bass than a JB.....that could be a good thing.

hmmm...and how do you compare Dimarzio to Duncans? Dimarzio gives a mv output for all their pickups. Duncan doesn't say anything..... What would a Duncan JB compare (output wise) to what Dimarzio has ?

what about the Invader? On Duncan's site, they show it to have more output, mids, and bass than a JB.....that could be a good thing.

hmmm...and how do you compare Dimarzio to Duncans? Dimarzio gives a mv output for all their pickups. Duncan doesn't say anything..... What would a Duncan JB compare (output wise) to what Dimarzio has ?

Grab the Invader if you either A. have a super bright (Maple body + ebony fretboard bright) guitar, or B. You want a muddy tone.

Duncan gives DC Resistance, which is a decent, but not incredibly accurate evaluationof output.

That said, a JB would be about equal to a ToneZone, in my experience. DD is about an Evo.

Grab the Invader if you either A. have a super bright (Maple body + ebony fretboard bright) guitar, or B. You want a muddy tone.

Duncan gives DC Resistance, which is a decent, but not incredibly accurate evaluationof output.

That said, a JB would be about equal to a ToneZone, in my experience. DD is about an Evo.

hmmm...you may have just sold me on the Invader. You remember my 660guitars with the aluminum body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. The aluminum is a shade brighter than other wooden body guitars. I think the chilled treble and the increased output maybe what I'm looking for....I just hope it doesn't feedback like that crazyhorse X2N Dimarzio I used to have in my Ibanez.
But then again, I could just back the pickup off the strings a little and turn the gain down on the amp right?