Effects chain problem. <insert 12 gauge shotgun here.>

SpareMePoseidon

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2010
So I have a stupid f-ing setup thats about to get thrown into a lake of fire. :devil:

Schecter Hellraiser> Ts9> 6505

effects loop: ISP Decimator> Tu-2> DD-6> back to amp.

The main issue is obvious. Instead of just stepping on the loop button of my footswitch and activating my delay pedal (for solos n' sich) I have to deactivate the decimator and turn on the delay manually. Which makes an effects loop button completely useless.

the situation gets even better if I want my clean channel with delay. I then have to press channel select on my footswitch, then the decimator and then the delay. Which makes build ups just horrible as I'm tap dancing like Cleo huxtable in the fucking background trying to get all three steps completed in one graceful movement.

I've tried throwing the DD-6 and the decimator in different configurations in/out of the effects loop but those results equal tone loss within either effects. There has got to be someone who has figured this situation out.

I got so pissed, that my G-major 2 should be here tomorrow.

I'd lose the Decimator. The delay will sound different (read: not as clean) in front of the amp as opposed to in the loop. I use a 6505 with a Tube Screamer and I think the level of noise is acceptable (even with my Tele w/ single coils).

If you still want a gate and a delay you'll have to tap-dance or invest in a multi-FX or switching system that will allow you to turn combinations of effects on and off simultaneously.

As I side note, I'd recommend moving the TU-2 up in the chain to right after the guitar (before the preamp or any effects). You'll get the cleanest signal to the tuner this way.

or how about making the signal chain like this:

guitar -> tuner -> tubescreamer -> decimator -> pre amp -> fx loop -> delay -> power amp -> cab -> ??? -> profit

Although it would work, the only problem with this is that the Decimator wouldn't be reducing noise from the pre-amp, which probably adds more noise than anything else in the chain.

Although it would work, the only problem with this is that the Decimator wouldn't be reducing noise from the pre-amp, which probably adds more noise than anything else in the chain.

I have never used the Decimator, but with atleast NS2, this it does the job well enough for live use IF you want to dedicate the fx loop for the delay. But if he is also using the TC G-Major, it has a noise gate in it, so that setup would actually work pretty well.

Yeah I think I'm going to end up throwing the decimator before the preamp. It'll at least do somewhat of a decent job knocking some of that scream out.

I'd lose the Decimator. The delay will sound different (read: not as clean) in front of the amp as opposed to in the loop. I use a 6505 with a Tube Screamer and I think the level of noise is acceptable (even with my Tele w/ single coils).

How in the hell do you get away with that! If I even think about my 6505 it starts freaking out.:yell:

I bet the bridge tone you get is killer though eh??.

What are you trying to do with the decimator? If you want to use it as a noise gate (the normal way), it should be after your tubescreamer and before the amp. Keeping it in the fx loop just quiets down amp hum...

or how about making the signal chain like this:

guitar -> tuner -> tubescreamer -> decimator -> pre amp -> fx loop -> delay -> power amp -> cab -> ??? -> profit

this is actually my exact setup at the moment. I put the decimator after the tube screamer, and it does a fantastic job cutting out the noise. for me, the main source of the noise is actually the tube screamer, not the preamp distortion.