Electric drumkit help...

You'll need a decent audio interface with a midi input to use an e-kit to record at a reasonable latency. Midi interfaces exist too, but I have no idea what the latencies are like on those.

Use a midi cable to connect the TD-9 to the interface.

Your DAW should now receive midi messages from the TD-9. Depending on which drum VSTi you're planning to use, you might need to use midi maps, midi files that you load up on a project, that determine which sound comes hitting which pad etc. Don't ask me on those, I've never had to use them.

I'm using SD2.0, it allows you to configure any sound to any pad with the "Learn" function. You just choose a sound and then strike the pad you want that sound set to.

Have fun, that's one great e-kit!

You'll need a decent audio interface with a midi input to use an e-kit to record at a reasonable latency. Midi interfaces exist too, but I have no idea what the latencies are like on those.

Use a midi cable to connect the TD-9 to the interface.

Your DAW should now receive midi messages from the TD-9. Depending on which drum VSTi you're planning to use, you might need to use midi maps, midi files that you load up on a project, that determine which sound comes hitting which pad etc. Don't ask me on those, I've never had to use them.

I'm using SD2.0, it allows you to configure any sound to any pad with the "Learn" function. You just choose a sound and then strike the pad you want that sound set to.

Have fun, that's one great e-kit!

Thanks man! I'll tell my mate all this, hes desperate to start recording :D

if he just needs to record the midi, latency is not an issue

If he's monitoring from samples triggered in the DAW then it is. If he's monitoring the sounds from the drum module then he needs to either get a mixer for the DAW and drum module outputs, unless the module has an aux in?

Most modules have midi out, I'm guessing this one's not an exception. Only thing you need is a midi interface, connect it to the module and that's that. Midi recorded.
I picked up a USB to MIDI in/out interface for 2 dollars on eBay last year, and it works like a charm. Midi latency is usually not an issue unless you have a seriously crappy interface and/or computer (I'm talking x486 here :)). Most midi interface do little more than just translate the message from midi serial format to USB serial format, this takes place almost instantly (by the midi standard definition, midi is transferred on 31.25Khz. If your interface handles it any different or can't keep up with that rate, it's not actually a midi interface by the very definition :p ) . Any latency would be caused by software, and these cheaper devices use the generic built-in midi support in windows (probably similar on os-x)

don't pay top dollar for a midi interface, that defeats the purpose of using such a primitive, simple and (relatively) slow standard to begin with!

Well yeah, I assumed that in this case the performance would be monitored through software. But if you'll find a different way to monitor, a simple midi interface will be fine for recording midi!