Triggering a cheap drumkit

Oct 19, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm going to be recording my band's album in the summer, but don't have a drumkit at the moment. Our drummer doesn't seem like he wants to haul his kit over to my place and I don't think it would be feasible for me to bring all of my gear to his place. I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea to buy a cheap junk drumkit and trigger it, considering that I am trying to spend as little money as possible. Would I be right in presuming that a cheap kit wouldn't negatively affect the sound much?

I'm also thinking about getting an electronic drumkit, but that could cost more. Any suggestions/comments/experiences that you'd like to share?

Hey man, I'll try help.
First of all, I'm a drummer. I have both acoustic and electric kits.
If neither one of you guys are bothered to move a bit of gear around, then I can only assume that your band's album will only be a half-arsed effort. If that's not the case then I apologise.
Regardless, I'll answer your questions.
Yes, you could just use mics to record the overheads of a shit kit but for the love of God, use good cymbals and watch out for bleed. We don't even know what interface and mics you have. Do you have triggers? They will cost you (I love my ddrum Pro set).
An e-kit is not really worth it, especially if you're too skint to shell out for a good one.
Which brings me to my final suggestion. Buy a good drum VSTi and program the drums. It's the best option for you in my opinion.

Hey man, I'll try help.
First of all, I'm a drummer. I have both acoustic and electric kits.
If neither one of you guys are bothered to move a bit of gear around, then I can only assume that your band's album will only be a half-arsed effort. If that's not the case then I apologise.
Regardless, I'll answer your questions.
Yes, you could just use mics to record the overheads of a shit kit but for the love of God, use good cymbals and watch out for bleed. We don't even know what interface and mics you have. Do you have triggers? They will cost you (I love my ddrum Pro set).
An e-kit is not really worth it, especially if you're too skint to shell out for a good one.
Which brings me to my final suggestion. Buy a good drum VSTi and program the drums. It's the best option for you in my opinion.

I'm not averse to taking my equipment to our drummer's place entirely. It's just the thought of not having all of my equipment in one place that puts me off a little, as well as restrictions on how late at night he can play his kit (semi-detached house and small children don't go too well with recording). I tend to take any band stuff quite seriously so I like to get it done properly in an easy to work environment where everything is easily accessible.

My interface is a Steinberg MR 816X. I currently own one condenser microphone which is a Sontronics STC-2.

I've been programming drums for a few years (SSD, EZDrummer, etc). However, our drummer doesn't seem too happy with not playing live on the album. I could afford a very good kit and triggers, but I'm trying to keep my costs as low as possible.

Maybe I should just try to convince him to keep his drums here for a few weeks. Ahh, frustration.

I'm not averse to taking my equipment to our drummer's place entirely. It's just the thought of not having all of my equipment in one place that puts me off a little, as well as restrictions on how late at night he can play his kit (semi-detached house and small children don't go too well with recording). I tend to take any band stuff quite seriously so I like to get it done properly in an easy to work environment where everything is easily accessible.

My interface is a Steinberg MR 816X. I currently own one condenser microphone which is a Sontronics STC-2.

I've been programming drums for a few years (SSD, EZDrummer, etc). However, our drummer doesn't seem too happy with not playing live on the album. I could afford a very good kit and triggers, but I'm trying to keep my costs as low as possible.

Maybe I should just try to convince him to keep his drums here for a few weeks. Ahh, frustration.

Okay, cool.
Well I'd say to him either leave his kit with you or you'll program his parts. Simple as!
They're really the only options you have!
You're defo gonna need more mics though!

Is he whining about triggering the drums, saying they aren't live? Tell him he can solve that if he wants to make a huge investment. :D

Haha :D. I think it's more the programmed drums that he's talking about. I think he'd be fine with triggering drums.

Okay, cool.
Well I'd say to him either leave his kit with you or you'll program his parts. Simple as!
They're really the only options you have!
You're defo gonna need more mics though!

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I think I'd at least need two more mics. I'm thinking about triggering the drums with Superior (I think I'm eligible for a crossgrade!) but micing the cymbals. Surely applying a gate to the ride and crash be a good enough method to reduce the bleed of the other drums. My main concern would be the hi hat. It's quite close to the drums so maybe someone could advise me on that issue.

Haha :D. I think it's more the programmed drums that he's talking about. I think he'd be fine with triggering drums.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I think I'd at least need two more mics. I'm thinking about triggering the drums with Superior (I think I'm eligible for a crossgrade!) but micing the cymbals. Surely applying a gate to the ride and crash be a good enough method to reduce the bleed of the other drums. My main concern would be the hi hat. It's quite close to the drums so maybe someone could advise me on that issue.

Mic the hi-hat so that the mic isn't facing the snare and focus on cymbal separation.