Cheap E-Drumkits ... Alesis DM 5 or Trigger I/O?

Nice thread. I've been thinking of getting a second hand TD-6 jobby at some stage, they seem really good.

Get one if you want a good drum module.

The actual sounds in it aren't too good, but to be honest, I haven't been impressed by any built-in sounds in any module. For the first few years I used it to play with, then using the midi out to record midi and playing through S2.0, and recently I've been using it with a trigger with my acoustic bass drum. There's one fucking kick ass metal kick sound in it :kickass: others pretty much suck though :lol:

Thanks man. Basically, im going to be looking for a high quality kit to link straight to the pc really, anything else is a bonus.

I assume you're talking about midi? Well, TD-6 allows you to adjust any pad-related settings you need to whatever you want, I highly recommend it for midi recording. If you're looking for a whole kit, I have to say that there are different ones and they've changed over time, but the one I have is the first TD-6KV kit with only regular rubber pads and cymbals, and a 8" mesh headed snare pad which was developed into a 10" pad in the later models. I must say I'm quite happy with my kit overall, even though the later models have some improvements.

TD-3

It has only sensitivity settings, but no decay, so it can flam like crazying when triggering acoustic drums live

Yeah, that one is a bit difficult... It has only 2 digits for a display, right? Wouldn't recommend it for midi recording, unless the midi assignments work well as they are.

um, could get a relatively cheap TD-3 kit (600€) ... what do? :(

I've known many people to use TD-3 for midi recording as well as other modules, so it should work well enough... All the pad related settings in it are generic, so in most situations it should work. Mostly when you have to adjust velocities, cross-talk, different times for different applications and whatnot, it can sometimes be fixed with physical actions.

For example, if you're hitting a tom pad and it makes a cymbal pad trigger also, you could for example spread them out a little from each other, and maybe loosen the cymbal pad's clamp just a little. Whenever I've had to adjust the velocity settings of the pad (ie how hard do I need to hit) it's been because the physical pad has worn in use and isn't as responsive as it used to be.