Electric Drums

Scissors61

Jul 18, 2007
Brighton, UK
www.myspace.com
Hey, I am quite new to recording, and at the moment I can't record a full drum kit, because of lack of mics/triggers. I would prefer to take a triggered approach, as I'm a bit of a lazy cunt... I also only have a pretty crap Peavey drumkit, so micing it probably wouldn't yield great results.

I was considering buying all mesh heads (because of noise) and a set of ddrum triggers for it. The only real problem with this is that I don't have any mics that are really suitable for micing overheads either, so I'd have to invest in some, or maybe just some electronic cymbals...

I was also considering selling the drumkit, and buying an electric drumkit, the one I was looking at is this:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75364

I liked it because of the cymbals and the real drum heads.

Does anyone have any advice for me on which of these methods would be best? Any major pros or cons for either? Considering I'd like to keep noise to a minimum, but it's not 100% necessary, it just means I could track drums more often.

And also, regarding the electric drumkit, has anyone got/played one of these? And is there anything much better that can be had in the same price range? I liked the look of the "surge cymbals", as well as the "real" drum heads, but I'm not really a drummer.

I also liked the fact that you get the DM5 module with it, so I would be able to use it to trigger live drums as well.

Opinions Plez?

I´m not sure about those cymbals. They probably are loud as a real cymbal but with shitty sound. It will suck to play live and you won´t get the beneficts of playing at home in silence. I don´t think that the module matters that much if you are going to use samples via midi on a computer, so it´s not a problem get an Alesis (BTW, the Roland have better modules, but they still sound crappy compared to samplers). If you have 100 more bucks I would recomend this kit:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-td-3kw/11847
It will be easier to sell later too. These Roland cymbals are very good, I have two.

hi a do the same as what your wanting to do. i have a roland td-8 kit which i plug into the computer and run through dfhs and it works great. i agree with co you should got for the roland. The td-8 kit aye have is really good but dear a think the td-3 or td-6 would be good cause you aint goin to use those sounds anyway :headbang:

Hey, cheers for the ideas, unfortunately, I can't really afford to spend over £500, and the only roland kit cheaper than that looks a bit balls. I would prefer a kit that has mesh/real heads over the rubber pads, which is why I was looking at the Alesis kit, and also the cymbals aren't as loud as normal cymbals, I've seen a few videos on youtube, and they're pretty quiet... Also, when I was saying about the module, what I actually meant was that my drummer would use his kick trigger on his acoustic kit straight into the module and use it to trigger just the kick sound. Sorry to be awkward, but cheers for the advice!