Electric guitar newbie here...

Jan 7, 2003
Preparing your grave. :)
Hello...I'm planning on getting an electric guitar in the next few months or years (o_O), and, a friend told me Gibson was the best...I had a look at their site and well...I'm basically looking for quality guitar fit for some hard rock/heavy metal sounds...So some recommendations would be nice...

Also, at what price can I get those guitars? I'm estimating that I can take a guitar in the $300 - $1000 range...

And, if Gibson is the most expensive brand of guitars...then what is the second best to it? Er, I mean, something with a few cheaper guitars but with almost the same quality as theirs...

Thanks in advance. :)

Gibsons are extremely overpriced and honestly I don't think they are worth what people pay for them, because at least half the price is for that name "Gibson"...just like Marshall stuff. You can get the same if not better for less money. And that standard less paul is stripped, it has none of the features or the looks of higher end gibson guitars. I also, just as personal preference, don't like Les Pauls..so play them first.

I'd check out the Schecter C series stuff, i've got a c-1 classic that is just wonderful in terms of looks and playing that ended up around $700 with a hard case from guitar center. I'd recommend that whole series, just great looking solid guitars with lots of tone. I'd also check out some Jackson's, maybe a DKMG or some of the Soloists you can find for under 1000. Also the higher end LTD's are quite good, there is a les paul knockoff and the M-1000 that are quite good. Ibanez has some decent guitars in that range as well. Stay away from Epiphone and any B.C. Rich that isn't Platinum or better, and play anything before you buy it.

The most expensive outside of custom built guitars is probably PRS because they are still pretty limited in production much like Mesa amps. Everyone knows about them, but the company is still small. A "real" PRS (as in not that santana S.E. or tremonti shit) starts around $2500. But they DO live up to the name and are wonderful guitars.

fadingessence, you mentioned quite a few metal guitars. For hard rock gibsons not bad - go with an SG or maybe an Explorer, howver, if this is your first guitar then you shouldn't be considering gibson. ESP LTD range are decent so long as you don't et the bog standard Agathis body - that's bad news. Eating your scull - I dont' know why you said stay away from epiphnoe - they're ok. You should DEFFINITELY check out kramer - you buy them online / phone only, this cuts out the middly man and you save a load of dosh. here's the site, and by the way they're conected to Gibson - www.musicyo.com hope this helps

I got a Washburn Dime333 which is great for rock/metal. Its normally over $1000 dollars i got it for $299 and shipped it to the UK where i live. You can loads of cut price guitars which minor damage (you can barely tell where the damage on mine is and and guitars with damage is purely cosmetic so they are guaranteed to play fine) from http://www.music123.com then click on outlet store near the bottom left of the main page

should be here: http://www.music123.com/category/?d=4&dd=954727683&c=161&issd=1

‡Ärdor‡ Thë Dëströyer said:
Hello...I'm planning on getting an electric guitar in the next few months or years (o_O), and, a friend told me Gibson was the best...I had a look at their site and well...I'm basically looking for quality guitar fit for some hard rock/heavy metal sounds...So some recommendations would be nice...

Also, at what price can I get those guitars? I'm estimating that I can take a guitar in the $300 - $1000 range...

And, if Gibson is the most expensive brand of guitars...then what is the second best to it? Er, I mean, something with a few cheaper guitars but with almost the same quality as theirs...

Thanks in advance. :)

There honestly is no "best" guitar, in my opinion. It is all a matter of what you feel the most comfortable playing, and what style of music you are playing.

I play a Jackson KV2, because it is the most comfortable guitar that I have found thus far. But someone else could play it and give me 20 reasons why that specific guitar doesn't work well for them. I play mostly metal, and JAckson totally serves it's purpose.

If you are going to buy used, I would suggest taking someone with you who knows how to examine guitars and such. The most important thing to look for is neck damage; make sure that it is not warped, and has no signs of fret buzz. Take the guitar, with the bridge toward you and look down the neck.

The next thing I would do is check out the wiring and such, (making sure everything works well without and hesitation or static and such).

You can buy a used instrument that was well taken care of, and save yourself a shitload. Just make sure you know what to look for.

Personally, the best newbie guitar is an Ibanez. They're cheap, durable, and sound great. If you don't like the stock pickups, spend another 200 bucks on some EMGs and have those installed instead. But a newbie shouldn't be that worried about tone; you should be concentrating on flexion, scales, chords, etc.

Benzine said:
I got a Washburn Dime333 which is great for rock/metal. Its normally over $1000 dollars i got it for $299 and shipped it to the UK where i live. You can loads of cut price guitars which minor damage (you can barely tell where the damage on mine is and and guitars with damage is purely cosmetic so they are guaranteed to play fine) from http://www.music123.com then click on outlet store near the bottom left of the main page

should be here: http://www.music123.com/category/?d=4&dd=954727683&c=161&issd=1

Hmm...this looks interesting, whats damaged on your guitar?
I am considering a Warlock from there...

Aggressor said:
Hmm...this looks interesting, whats damaged on your guitar?
I am considering a Warlock from there...

The damage is barely noticable. I asked lots of people to try and find it and most couldn't :) It was a scratch on the side of the neck which doesn't affect the guitar in any way so it still plays perfectly. I'd never bought anything from america before until my guitar from there and it was really good. You can track where your order is the whole time which is really good. The only downside is the tax i had to pay to get it into my country. It came to about £60 (about $100) which i didn't know i'd have to pay until it arrived. But i still saved so much that it didn't bother me. Not sure if that tax would apply in norway if thats where you'd get it shipped to. In general it was fast and easy to use and i'd recommend it.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Bronze series stuff. Go for a Platinum or look for another brand, IMO.

Depends on how much you have to spend, the Kramer Barettas on musicyo.com are good bargains...

You might want to take a look at the Jackson DXMG/DXMGT series... they're quite nice for the price.

I agree. I just bought a DKMG, although a little nicer from Musician's Friend for about 600 dollars WITH a case. It plays fantastic and comes stock with two EMG HZ humbuckers. Although the HZs aren't as good as the 81s, it's STILL EMG, and yer still a newbie. I JUST now started upgrading my pickups after 4 years of playing.