Electro drums, but not 'electro' drums? Industrial/gothic stuff

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
I've been looking up different recording techniques for different styles lately. I had another thread about this but I asked about the guitar tone, which in turn I discovered that it's a bunch of digital pedals to get that tone. The drums aren't really 'electronic' drums like you hear in straight up electronic music, but kind of a combination of authentic and synthetic. Just imagine a gothic or industrial rock/metal band that has a real drummer but the drumkit he's playing is an electronic kit. I think that's the sound I'm talking about.

That's a decent example I guess. What I'm asking is how is the sound produced? I'm guessing a sound module... if so, how would I go about using some if I don't have an actual electronic drumkit? I'm sure I could just program some midi and use the kit! What are some good modules to look at for this kind of stuff?

As a side note, what in the world do these bands use for all of the FX on their lead guitar tone? They turn their lead guitar notes into an entire pad it sounds like. Kind of drenched in reverb and chorus or soething.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard others say it's that they use acoustic drums but tweak them in the studio. Ok, that's true sometimes, but there is just NO WAY that all of those bands go through that much trouble. There's got to be some sort of module that bands like that use, or something like that. I guess a good place to ask about it would be on some forum where that kind of music is popular. I have no idea where to go to for that though.

Thanks dude! I'm going to have to look into maybe getting a module like this to toy with. I'm not even into this kind of music much, but it's cool to study the production and how it all comes together.

Any kind of Roland/Yamaha ROMpler will get the kinda sound you're looking for - they'll have the typical emulations of classic drum machines (Roland TR-x0x, Yamaha RX-x etc) which you can use in conjunction with real drums, replace using drumagoggins et al or program in your own beats. There are a bunch of drum machine emulators which you may wish to have a look at instead of investing in hardware. Have a look at:

http://www.d16.pl
nepheton-persp.jpg

or

http://www.audiorealism.se/adm/adm_announcement.htm

adm_small_s.jpg

sounds like the drummer is 'playing' along to a click/drum track which is totally lacking in any kind of balls; neither metal nor electro

{and what's with teh Gary Numan-lookey-likey pretending to be in SOM?}o_O

Last edited by a moderator: