Running triggers on acoustic drums for ''100%'' noiseless practice

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello everyone

I´m a longtime guitar player, and I'm considering getting a drum kit nowadays (for triggering SD2, basically), but I really don´t like the toy-like appearance -and the price tag!- of electronic kits. Getting tired of trying to do drums with a synth..
I have this idea to 'mute' everything on an acoustic set and use triggers (I record and practice with headphones all the time except, of course, if mixing)

I was wondering if you people think is a good idea to get some acoustic kit and damp it with something like some Remo Muffls. I can´t afford to make any noise in my current space situation, and I need to play, compose etc at night, because I work during daytimes. Is it possible to make an acoustic kit almost completely noiseless for nighttime practice? And if so, how? (cymbals included).

Much obliged

You could get mesh heads but they feel like crap. A little better than those drum muffle pad things, but still crap. I actually prefer the feel of E-drums, but those feel like crap too unless you get roland V-drums, well, actually those still feel like crap compared to real drums. I'd go for some inexpensive e-drums and just deal with the crappy feel. If theyre just for silent recording why does it matter what they look like?

Buy a cheap (used) drumkit, put Roland meshheads on (available only in 10" 12" 14" i believe) and build the triggers yourself, it's easy! Just google around and you'll find something useful. You could even try and build trigger-cymbals as well, but I'd recommend commercial ones.
For HH, IMO the only choice is the best Roland one (VH-12 ?).

Here is my kit with DIY trigger - rototoms:
img1188q.jpg

What kind of cymbals are you using there? I'm midway through converting an acoustic kit and trying to figure out what to do for cymbals. My plan is to run a trigger io because I don't really have the money for a roland module right now.