Electronic Drum Recording Help!

Oct 11, 2006
Petaluma-California
Whats up Fellas?

I got a question for all of you that have any experience with tracking electronic drum's, namely Roland V-Drums. Sorry if this seems like I'm not making any sense, I have no experience doing any thing like this (i.e. midi-tarted)

I have a TD-10 brain with the TDW-1 expansion and I would like to send out the midi into my computer to be recorded and later re sampled via drumagog. My question is what software would you recommend for doing so in Nuendo 4? I've heard that Slate will soon have something that will work with the Roland boxes in my DAW, but I need something now.

I've never tracked my v-drums unless it was doing pre-production stuff and I just took the st. output and ran that into my console - into the DAW. I guess I could just hook up the triggers and run them into my console and record that way, but then I have nothing to monitor off of, ( I dont like using drumagog during tracking)

Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the response,

Oh hell yah. I can run 24 inputs through my console + midi into my daw. I've tried just hooking up the pads into the console, but its a ton of work doing all the setup and then having to go through and gate and edit all the shit out. Plus every time I try to use drumagog with cymbal samples it ends up not really working out the way I want. And all of the roland pre-sets suck, really bad.

I guess what I am wondering is what program should I be using to turn the midi notes into drums sounds? Kontakt... BFD... Superior... I've never used any of these programs before and dont know if that's the best way to do it, or what? I want something that can multitrack the midi notes in my DAW.

I normally would never even think about working with an electronic kit, but I am in the middle of moving my studio and I really need to track some drums for a few projects that I am working on, and I cant wait for the studio to be done, to setup my acoustic kit. All of my gear is just sitting in my garage with my Roland kit, so I figure if their is a way for me to utilize it, why not try... I hope I'm not searching for something that doesn't exist.

Thanks

It sounds like you answered your own question, but not really...

"I have a TD-10 brain with the TDW-1 expansion and I would like to send out the midi into my computer to be recorded and later re sampled via drumagog. My question is what software would you recommend for doing so in Nuendo 4?"

Drumagog would be the software to later resample via Drumagog... =)

If you're looking for a sample pack or a VST instrument type thing, then there are tons to choose from... I find BFD sounds awesome for rock stuff, though it has always been finicky with me... right now I'm digging the upgrade to Superior 2.0... it pretty perfect for demoing stuff and seems like you can get a great sound out of it if you put enough time into it...