electronics

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
Well, probably not the right place if there is one. CD player in my car does not play through one channel. It tries but rarely. I figure there is something wrong with the head. It does play in stereo with cassettes or radio. So it has to be the CD player itself. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart and made adjustments ? Its like nobody fixes electronic equipment these days, everything is throw away but this seems like a simple problem and its not a bad unit, plus still plays my cassettes without trying to eat them.

You'd be in over your head (I might be too) taking it apart and trying to fix it. The lens might be dirty, and that can be fixed with one of those cd player cleaner discs. If it's any of the electronics, like for example the laser being aligned wrong or something, that probably isn't worth trying to fix when you can get a nice new deck for cheap.

I know where you're coming from and I'd rather fix than replace too, but sometimes it's cost of repair/effort vs cost of new... and whichever wins is probably best.

Check the wire like Chris said (if you can get the deck out, which may or may not be in the manual) and try a couple external things like that, if not, maybe the car shop can look at it. Otherwise, off to the store.

All you can really do is give it a clean and check the solder joints.

I tried fixing an FX pedal that a friend blew up and after replacing a few capacitors and a resistor I pretty much gave up. Its really difficult to trace out the design in order to see what is going on, and it would be even harder with a CD player I think.

You could do it with a multimeter. It's a lot harder if there are nonlinear parts though. You could probably isolate which IC is broken but then you'd have to find a replacement. If it's none of the chips or basic parts, then you're screwed as it's a whole other level to replace the printed board.