ELECTROVOMIT - 20 Questions

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Who are you and what do you do in the band?
I'm David Raven, and I'm the only member of Electrovomit. Currently, I'm also the cover artist, manufacturer, publisher and PR dude.

Where's the band from?
Coventry, in the UK - home of ruined cathedrals and 2-Tone ska.

Who're your major influences?
This project wasn't initially influenced by anything, but I've taken on board things from bands like Sunn0))), later-period Emperor, and Vinterriket. It's inevitable that as I've increased the melody quotient, influences have crept in from my favourite bands.

What's your local scene like?
Most of the action's in Birmingham, and to a lesser extent Rugby. We only have one club and a few pubs where you're likely to hear any rock at all, let alone any metal. There's a lot of fans, but we have to go out of town to see a really good gig.

How can people hear your music?
Go to the homepage at http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/electrovomit/ or the mp3.com site. You can also reach me direct at lord667@yahoo.com if you want a demo CD.

If you could play a gig with 3 other bands, who would it be?
I'd love to get Anaal Nathrakh on a stage, and definitely Sunn 0))) who I haven't managed to see yet. I guess I should also include The John Rogers Band in this list, because I owe him a plug, but also because he's a fantastic live guitarist by all accounts.

What's your best gig memory?
Playing (in my other band) in front of 800 people in a talent contest, including two of my ex-girlfriends, and getting a fantastic reaction. The best gig I've ever been to was Alice Cooper at the NEC, on the Brutal Planet tour. Even the usual terrible NEC crowd couldn't detract from the sheer awesomeness of it.

What's your worst?
Having to play sitting down because my frigging guitar strap broke seconds before we went on, and I didn't have a spare. I looked stupid, wearing denim, leather and a Black Sabbath shirt, playing loud, crunchy hard rock, but looking like I was trying to be a chilled-out bluesman. Also the fact that we didn't win!

Would you describe your sound as Hot or Cold?
Cold, I think. Lately, my sound has been sort of brittle and trebly, in the same spirit as an "obscure" Black Metal record. It's not an intimately human style, this Black Noise stuff.

What are you plans for the future?
The next demo is in the works. I think it'll be moving in a noisier direction again, more like State Of Infinite Collapse than To The Depths. I'm also writing "real" songs for other projects. I'd love to play live again, but I don't want to do covers any more, so we (that is, The Freeform Introduction, my "other" band) have to finish writing a decent set first.

What song of yours should people listen to before any other?
Listen to "A Dream From The Frozen Wastes" off the current demo, To The Depths, and "Relentless Deathstorm" from State Of Infinite Collapse. They represent just about the best snapshots of what this project is doing, and where it's heading. Fans of synth instrumentals will love "Cantus Fenlonael", also on the current demo.

If a label said they'd sign you for a 10 album, multi-million £ deal, providing you got rid of one of your members (you can choose!), would you do it?
Well, that would mean there'd be no members left, so if they want to hand me a big cheque for dissolving the band - "thank-you-very-much-indeed!", and I'll take my demos and new material and issue them under a new name.

What's your favourite album of all time, and why?
"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" still represents a high-water mark for me. I could play that one for days on end (ask my parents if you don't believe me…) and I just wish I'd been around to experience it the first time.

What was the main reason you became a musician?
The same reason that I suspect a lot of us did. I loved metal from a really early age, well before my teenage years, and growing up with that sort of thing, it seemed only logical that one day I would form a band. I would have considered my life wasted if I hadn't put out at least one recording!

How would you like to be remembered?
As long as I actually AM remembered, I don't much care. I just hope that someone, somewhere, will speak my name after I die (not counting autopsies, funerals or will-readings).

What's the first word that comes to mind when you see the word MANOWAR!
Kings!!!

What one location in the world would you love to play a gig at?
If we do ever get a good live set, I'd love to play in Mexico or Brazil. Supposedly, the most diehard metalhead countries on Earth, even more than Germany!

What do you think of the current metal magazines? Which rock, and which are shit?
I only read Terrorizer. I get the impression that Metal Hammer has changed its ways and come back to us somewhat, but I lost interest when they started focusing on fucking rap-rock and ska-punk. I've no idea what Kerrang! is like these days, but they don't seem to have changed their "Smash Hits - Rock Edition" ideals. I pick up Power Play and other smaller mags sometimes, usually if there's a CD on the cover.

Tell us 3 good reasons why people should listen to you?
You like melody? We got it in spades! You like noise? We're the original Black Noise Warriors! You like beach sports? Our CD's double as Electrovomit souvenir frisbees!

Any message for your fans and the UM masses?
You're all legends. Get out there, form bands, start solo projects, write fanzines - and please, mention me in a few of them - because if the underground lives on, then METAL is forever!