Elm Street - Barbed Wire Metal debut video! (Ermz, Eddy & Plec)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
The official video for the title track of Elm Street's album 'Barbed Wire Metal' just got launched. We did the record here at Systematic earlier in the year. Eddy reamped guitars, and Plec mastered.

Since wrapping the record, the guys managed to sign to Massacre Records and promote their album launch to global status. This video accompanies the album itself, which launched worldwide today.

www.metalelmstreet.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for taking a look, guys.

Yeah the drummer is great. When we first went to record he wanted to use 9 toms, hahah. Love those guys, seriously. The guitars were done with Ben's RR1, loaded with a JB, which Eddy reamped through TS > Soldano SLO100 > Mesa OS. It was really hard to make the tone work for the thrashier numbers like this one, but the amp was totally worth it. Just has these glorious, rocky mids.

Is it just me, or does the whole video start to look a lot more 'professional' during the night time shots at the end?

Btw, as some trivia... the video was done my McGVideoCore, who also did the Attack Attack! Stick Stickly clip this place came to love so fondly a while back :D

It was really hard to make the tone work for the thrashier numbers like this one, but the amp was totally worth it. Just has these glorious, rocky mids.

I hear what you mean by this, not as bite-y/crunchy, but i do love that slo thickness. sounds rad!

I kind of wish they didn't all wear fucking band shirts, but i gotta give em props for the twisted sister duds.

Pro shots, cool video, awesome drum setup! My only gripe would probably be far too much shots focused on the singer's constant grinning (even during the solo) for my liking :D
Yeah, looks better at night, they should have probably do all shots at night. Ermz, what did you use for vox fx chain? Sounds a lot like on Testament's Formation of Damnation. Pretty cool.

The magic of massive Pearl Masters toms with the Emperor/Ambassador combo! It's like natural dampening.

@Uros: Vox were something like: 'Singer > SM7B > API 512c > Distressor > RADAR > Nebula Studer 15ips > Nebula SSL > RDeEsser > Millennia > RVox > 1176 > L1 > Decapitator'

Even with all that, they actually don't sound too different from the raws we captured. The goal with the chain was to incrementally squeeze them for consistency, and bring out that aggressive character in his voice with subtle, staged distortions. The vox sounded awesome raw. We spent a lot of time coaching, going line-by-line, maximizing the impact of each bit of delivery.

This album had the biggest budget of any I've worked with, so all of the quality was captured at the source, during tracking.

video's awesome. mix is awesome.

but i dont get what you mean by 'natural dampening' when talking about a run of the mill 2 ply head :lol:

don't see a big testament influence here, but the mix sounds awesome. great job.

The snare is uber-nice. any infos?

The video looks way better at "night". No idea what possessed them to do the daylight shots ...

The mix is killer. If my new project starts coming together, I'll probably come to you for mixing the demos.

The video looks way better at "night". No idea what possessed them to do the daylight shots ...

The mix is killer. If my new project starts coming together, I'll probably come to you for mixing the demos.

Cheers man. It's flattering to hear that from someone like yourself! Would be more than keen to work on those demos with you. Also not sure why most of the footage is during the day. When I think about it, I'd have done a granulation/scratches/B&W filter on the day time stuff, and then just popped into hi-fi colour on the night time shots. The filters really worked on the short teaser they released for the clip.

@Declan: The combo of those two heads just naturally cuts resonance out of toms. Not sure what 'run of the mill' really means as far as drum skins go, as they all have their own individual tones. These two always seem to give me the fattest tom sounds.

@CubanDude: The snare is very 'Slatey' on this one. I had a few Slates lined up when we were doing our guitar tracking, and I liked how they sat in the music, so I left most of them in there for the final. Odds are you've got Slate 12, Slate Snare & Never Snare in there. Basically all the fattest ones that gave me maximum hardness. You'll need a DBX160 though... no other compressor can do that same thing to the attack.

yeah, i'm gasing for a DBX160, but can't afford it atm.. thanks for the info!

@CubanDude: The snare is very 'Slatey' on this one. I had a few Slates lined up when we were doing our guitar tracking, and I liked how they sat in the music, so I left most of them in there for the final. Odds are you've got Slate 12, Slate Snare & Never Snare in there. Basically all the fattest ones that gave me maximum hardness. You'll need a DBX160 though... no other compressor can do that same thing to the attack.

hahaha, it's so odd how closely we use the SAME sample same SAME type of outboard comps but our end results couldn't be more different =D

i use that combo a lot for my 'dynamic' snr track....... aside from snr 12... i stay away from it ONLY because.... well, you know....

=D good job ermz, love this stuff.

i'd LOVE to do some reamps for you through a new head we've discovered that's all handmade in our area.... Moss Amps "The Kracken".

Fucking AMAZING bitch of an amp. the clean channel is JUST LIKE AN early 70's fender and the hi-gain channel is OUTTA CONTROL.

Awesome man. I'll be sure to hit you up with some guitar DIs in the coming months then!

Forgot to mention the raw snare on this was a Black Beauty. Could've left it 80% raw and it would've still sounded awesome. I'm partially piffed that I didn't. I think for the next record we'll do the drums in a huge room, and let the natural tones speak for themselves a bit more.

Man this is killer, I WISH there were some thrash bands in Perth, I'd love to work on something like this. It's funny you mentioned you used 12 on this, my studio partner was listening in the other room and shouted out "what are you listening to with 12 on it!?" Amazing.

Hey Ermz, cheers on that rundown. What did you use on those 'yeeee' parts (I don't mean on the chorus, but on lines on 0:21 and 1:25 for example)? I figure that you used 2 or more tight takes, but what sort of effects, some sort of doubler or what?

On another note, this song, along with the Memnoir's 'The One' is your best production in my opinion (based on songs in the player on your web site) ;)