Elm Street - Barbed Wire Metal debut video! (Ermz, Eddy & Plec)

Gangs were more about the LA-2. I recall crushing them pretty hard, and using chorus and medium room verb to widen/extend them. There were usually 4 to 8 individual takes, depending on the part (of about 10 or 12 guys). Possibly voc-aligned, and pitch altered to create a tighter, yet bigger sound.

@Uros: Those parts are just good, old fashioned quad tracking on vocals. We did a lot of tracking to emphasize certain lines on this record. There's very little 'trickery' being done to achieve anything.

I'm just reading through some reviews and find it pretty amusing. It's been received fairly well here, but most of the independent reviews criticize 'too clean' production, or something along those lines.

Guess that just proves that people reviewing metal are you usually completely retarded when it comes to production... I can guarantee you if a big name delivered the exact same mix they'd be gushing with approval.

The mix is freaking awesome Ermz, I can't fault it.

Cheers mate.

I try to see it from a balanced perspective, as much as possible. I can see on some level why thrash fans would want to hear a rawer presentation... but I did spend the time, and tried a lot of different things with this mix before settling on what's there. It's just a matter of perspective. That, and the fact that the band explicitly requested a 'modern sound' to contrast their 'old-school music' from the outset!

tbh I love your mixes, but I really don't think it fits thrash bands so well. I mean, I can see why the band would want a more polished sound, andy is king at this. That being said, I love what you did on the first In malice's wake lp which actually resembles a lot to the sneap thrash vibe, clean but not so much the "radio rock" approach you got going on in this one, if you know what i mean

That's really interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing that point of view!

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the first Malice LP mix. It was a product of its circumstances, despite that I tried my hardest at the time. It was really riddled with its share of issues during tracking, so it was just a matter of pulling out whatever we could. The band and I are both much, much happier with what we achieved on 'The Thrashening', sonically. That's not to say the first LP is bad. In fact it has some of my favourite songs on it, and is a classic thrash record, as far as I'm concerned - despite how criminally under rated it was.

artwork by Ed Repka as well, it must be pointed out!

Repka, to me personally, is the artistic equivalent of Sneap.

(Having said that, his cover for Elm Street is far from his best)

ermz good job man really diggin this..

eddy did good job the soldano sounds awesome and you managed to fit them in well and the whole thing sounds like a modern skid row record with more balls.

I have to admit the SLO was a bizarre choice for this one, but I was really convinced of it at the time. Think it gives it a bit of a unique flavor. I'm not sure if I know of any other thrash records done with an SLO. It was one of the coolest raw tones I was ever sent though. Eddy did great.

Anyway, these guys are the most ambitious & driven band I've ever worked with. They've made their way from being just another unknown local act to refining their style to a 't', getting signed overseas and teeing up international festival tours all within the space of 2 years. I imagine next time we hear from them on here, there will be a much bigger spotlight on the whole affair.