EMG 57/66 or 89/89R for my Ibanez?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
So I have this Ibanez Prestige RGA121. It's an super super tight-sounding attack-y guitar. It's got a THICK maple cap that accounts for about 1/3 of the thickness of the body and it's got a maple neck. Right now I have the EMG Het Set in it, but I'm thinking it might be just a tad too tinny-sounding compared to the rest of my guitars.

So what do you think? The 89 was regarded as a tighter-sounding 85, and I believe the 57 is also along those lines, isn't it?

I like the idea of the coil-split option in the 89, but I'm more interested in the humbucker mode.

If anyone has experience with both, how does the low-end, mids, high-end, and output of both compare?

Thanks.

:)

IMHO... The 57-7 and 66-7 are the best pickups I've ever owned.

The rest of my guitars with other pickups are collecting dust. I wouldn't hesitate to put those pickups into every guitar I own.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a toughie. The 89 is a tighter 85, definitely, and the 57 is tighter than the 85 but in a different way. Definitely more 'classic' sounding and less compressed but also not quite as balls-out aggressive. I've been debating that lately, too; one of my guitars has a 57/66 set and another has an 89/SA/SA set, and I find myself wanting the 57 in with the SAs since it's a bit more tame and versatile, despite the 89 being splittable.

Low end is similar on the two - not SUPER tight but also not loose. The 57 has a 'bigger' bottom end. Midrange is pretty similar I would say, less compression on the 57. Top end of the 57 can be kind of 'hairy' in a classic way, I'd say the 89 is smoother but neither are offensive like the 81 can be.

Rex, the problem you're going to run into asking for suggestions concerning these pickups is probably beyond Jeff and I, you probably won't find too many individuals around who have tried them yet. I'd love to hear someone's opinions who have tried them and didn't like them. :)

Here's a video of Reese Fullwood who is endorsed by EMG testing them out.

His comments... "Emg Sent me out a few sets of pickups recently this is my first video where i'm demonstrating the clean and rhythm i got with the 57-7H / 66-7H set. In a brushed chrome finish!
These pickups are so punchy and thick in the low end, with a sharp attack! Maintaining a slightly lower output ,higher midrange balance and less compression than the original 707 and 817 pickups."

Last edited by a moderator: