Question about the EMG 89 and 89R...

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
I was doing some research on the EMG 89 and 89R pickups. I've been reading that its response is a little different from the EMG 85. Well, I really like the 85 in the bridge of my Ibanez, but the thought of an 85 with slightly less lows and low-mids (like I've read the 89 is) sounds interesting.

What I've been meaning to ask is that is there any difference in tone between the 89 and 89R in humbucker mode in the bridge position like there would be in its single coil mode? I ask because I'm not sure how the 89 works, I mean, if it is two separate pickups inside a single housing or is the coil actually being split. Would I have to try both to see which I like better? And also, would it be possible to just wire the 89 in humbucker mode without having the option for the single coil? And if it is possible, would it be possible to do so with just the standard quick-connect wires from the 81 and 85 pickups?

Thanks!

It's two different pickups in one housing, which is why it's not exactly like an 89. The 89R is just the 89 with the single coil in the opposite spot, for a different tonality. The humbucker tone might be a bit different, but I wouldn't think it'd be too drastic. It'll sound the same as an 89 flipped over with the logo facing the wrong way, in any case.

You should be able to wire it to just use the pickups in humbucker mode, but you won't be able to use the 81/85 quick connect wires.

Thanks, man!

So I'm guessing difference in tone would be kinda like how it is with those DiMarzios with a hot blade on one of the coils? I'm assuming then maybe the 89R would be brighter and tighter than the 89 in the bridge?