How's EMG 707TW in humbucking mode?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I'm thinking about getting the EMG 707 for bridge and 707TW for the neck so that I have the single coil sound option, but I'm just wondering.... in humbucking mode, does it sound close to the 707 in the neck? The 89 six string pickup is supposed to be sound like an 85 when in humbucking mode but it doesn't really... and doesn't sound that great... so I was wondering if the 707TW is similar (sounds good in single coil mode, but not in humbucker) or if it pulls off both things well?

I'd really prefer to have the 707TW in the neck to have the extra sound for cleans, but it needs to sound good as a humbucker too, heh...

I believe the 707TW is exactly the same pickup as last years 707 neck model, but it just has the added functionality of coil splitting.

I believe the 707TW is exactly the same pickup as last years 707 neck model, but it just has the added functionality of coil splitting.

Cool. I was just wondering because that was their claim about the emg 89 too, but it didn't really sound much like an 85 in the neck at all as a humbucker... nice cleans though...

Hrmm, I wonder how complicated it would be to get an SD Blackout in the bridge and 707TW in the neck...

Cool. I was just wondering because that was their claim about the emg 89 too, but it didn't really sound much like an 85 in the neck at all as a humbucker

I'm curious, how would you say it sounded different? You're the first person I've seen mention this

Really old thread bump here, but..... So, I never really got much of an answer on this.... have more of you guys tried out the 707TWs by now? Do you consider them to be close sounding to the 707s when in humbucker mode? I'd still like to have the coilsplitting options, but don't want a 707TW if it doesn't sound as good as the 707 in humbucking mode... I'd like to believe it does sound a lot like the 707, but heard a few comments that have led me to believe otherwise...

Anyone? I looked at the specs and the 707TW has a lower resonant frequency than the 707.... The 707TW has almost the same resonant frequency as the 85, but it's slightly higher. Still, it's closer to the 85 than the 707. Anyone here who has tried both, have you noticed this? Is the 707TW smoother/warmer than the 707? What about gain? Do they have about the same level of output?

Wow, 707 sucks?
Honestly, when it comes to 7 strings passive pickups aren't even a consideration for me, actives all the way for 7 strings.

The 707 was basically made with Dino (FF) asking for a pickup like an 85 but tweaked slightly and in 7-string form, obviously. The 707TW being *closer* to 85, I would say it's better than the regular 707 then. But, when I swapped the 707 out of my HellRaiser C7 and put an 81-7 in there I would never use the 707 in the bridge again, personally. But I guess it can work for some players like Loomis.

The 707 was basically made with Dino (FF) asking for a pickup like an 85 but tweaked slightly and in 7-string form, obviously. The 707TW being *closer* to 85, I would say it's better than the regular 707 then. But, when I swapped the 707 out of my HellRaiser C7 and put an 81-7 in there I would never use the 707 in the bridge again, personally. But I guess it can work for some players like Loomis.

I would never touch the 81-7... too harsh and clinical sounding. I'm much more into the alnico EMGs. They're still tight, but much warmer sounding.

But I don't know whether or not the 707TW does in fact sound closer to the 85 because of it having less treble..... that is what I WANT to know. I know there has to be people here who have them because I know there are people here who own those schecter hellraiser 7 strings that come with 707TWs now. They've been out a while now too and I've still never really heard anyone say anything about them... really all I want to know is if it has about the same amount of gain as the 707 and if it sounds smoother/warmer than the 707....

Not sure if anyone else is even interested, but I sent EMG an email about it.. i was asking about the 707TW compared to the 85-7 (which isn't available for the public to buy...). James Kearney from EMG replied and he said:

"Josh,

Unfortunately it was a limited run, we don't have anymore available! No
plans at this time to release it as a separate model. You are correct
about the 707TW, it's closer to the 85 -- Definitely the closest thing
we make to that 85-7.

I'll continue to push for a separate release of the 85-7, I think it
would be a popular option! Feel free to check back with me early next
year, I might have more info then."

So, for those of you who think the 707 is a little too bright, or has too much of a "single coil-like attack," you might someday be able to get an 85-7, which is supposed to sound exactly like a normal 85 does for 6 strings... so it'd be smoother than the 707. The 707TW is supposed to be somewhere inbetween the 85 and 707, but closer to the 85... so, it should also have a smoother attack and a bit less treble than the 707s.

I sent him a reply asking a few other things, and if I think his answers might be useful for anybody on here I'll post those here too when I get them.