81-7 vs 707tw

Osse

Sep 15, 2009
Which one is prefered around?

I see that the schecter c-7(which seem much appreciated) has got the 707-tw but in 6 strings the 81 seem as the most appreciated.

Also another question, when using dual mode in the 81TW, is it identical to the regular 81? Is it just adding the possibility for single-coil type sound as an alternative to the humbucker mode? I listened to a shoutout here and it seemed to have more low-end meat(in a pleasant way) and generally sounding larger, but when reading EMG's site i'm getting confused.

The 707 is also dual mode, is it more similar to the 89, 81 or the 81tw(if there is any difference?)

Thanks!

I personally liked the 81-7 much more than the 707 in the HellRaiser C7 I had last.

Which one is prefered around?

I see that the schecter c-7(which seem much appreciated) has got the 707-tw but in 6 strings the 81 seem as the most appreciated.

Also another question, when using dual mode in the 81TW, is it identical to the regular 81? Is it just adding the possibility for single-coil type sound as an alternative to the humbucker mode? I listened to a shoutout here and it seemed to have more low-end meat(in a pleasant way) and generally sounding larger, but when reading EMG's site i'm getting confused.

The 707 is also dual mode, is it more similar to the 89, 81 or the 81tw(if there is any difference?)

Thanks!

Okay, you seem confused, so... The 81-7 is like the 81, but tweaked a little (possibly even brighter than the 81) for 7 strings. The 81TW is the dual mode version of the 81, but there is no 81-7TW... no dual mode 81-7. For 6 strings there is also the 85 and the 89. The 89 is the dual mode version of the 85... it's the only one that doesn't follow the TW naming system. The 707 pickup is similar to the 85 (both are alnico V) but tweaked for 7 strings. The 707TW is the dual mode version of the 707... so, it's like the 7 string version of the 89 (atleast somewhat).

As far as the dual mode versions compared to their regular versions, no, they don't sound the same. They are similar, but the dual mode version seems to be usually wamer/more bassy and have a little less output.

81TW is slightly chunkier and less "sizzly" than the regular 81, see this thread

89 is apparently similar to the 85, but not quite as muddy; this has been my experience, but I can't be 100% until I do a shootout between the two, which will happen soon

Dunno about the 707 vs. 707TW, kinda curious about that one really